Philips DVd Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a previous posting, but I don't know how to find the responses to it. Following is nearly a quote from the old one I read.

Hardware in question: Philips SPD2410L1

PHILIPS 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI/E-IDE DVD Burner

I have developed a new problem which I previously did not have. Suddenly I'm getting error messages that I never had before.

The philips drive plays dvd's just fine whenever i pop a movie or whatever in there but it doesnt seem to recognize any blank media i think (i dont actually know which is why im posting here) with no cd/dvd in the drive My computer shows it as a DVD-RAM Drive (E: ) and sais please insert a disk into the drive.

Then when i put a blank dvd+r in the drive it changes to just CD Drive (E: ) and sais E:\ is not accessible Incorrect Function.

Is it supposed to change to just CD Drive when i put blank media in there? My last computer had a windows pop up saying Hey you put in a blank media what do you want to do with it and gave options like open with explorer etc. But with this one it doesnt do anything. I have used memorex and philips brand dvd+r's. I have always used DVD+R's in the past.

2nd part. When i try to burn something, it will read the movie to 100% etc but when it goes to write it to the disk it sais "Error Writing Disk". I've used all the various programs before without a problem what so ever. Is there something I'm missing. Can anyone help? Thank you for your time.

Alden

Best move is to toss it out, unless it is still under warranty. If under warranty, call Phillips. They will send you a new one without a quarrel.
This is not an uncommon problem, but a surprise with that Phllips, because we find them much more hardy than most. We like Phillips, Yamaha, Plextor, Pioneer, and even LG and Samsung. We avoid Sony, HP, HLDS, LaCie, Acer, Asus, and most other brands.
But it is becoming quite rare for any DVD drive to last even nine months, let alone a year.
The reason you get these varying results is that your drive may have two or three lasers... each limited to a certain set of functions. When they burn out, there are still others which will perform some of the other tasks.
If you are good with tools, you may want to pull the bottom off your drive to see if the belt has broken or slipped off... but that will avoid the warranty.

Hello and Welcome...

i have a "simple note" that have been around in previous DVD posts.
but i would like to paste it again here. hope it can helps...

My simple possible solutions for error in DVD/CD Drives:

A. Hardware Condition
Age: If it's more than 1 year, common enough seeing problem like this. Otherwise, warranty is one of the solutions.
Physical: Have it been falling down? Any major scratch or damage could be seen in Cable or Drive?

B. CD Compatibility and Quality
Brand: Same brand of your CD or DVD with the Drive result in compatibility at most.
Compatibility: How many brand of disc have you tried? Try using 4 different brands of CD to see how it works,
or then use golden-coloured Disc which have better quality

(Mine can't do imation discs while my friend can't do TDK discs)

C. Wrong installation
Cable: If it's IDE, make sure that the cable isn't inverted.
Jumper: Check whether it is installed in the right position.
Power: Try re-plugging-in the power cable tightly.
Check also the IDE mode in the device manager, whether it's in DMA or PIO

(I've once installing IDE drives with inverted cable and it result in various slowliness and errors)

D. Bugs
If various method you've found in internet could not solve your problem, maybe you might think about renewing your firmware.

Burning software sometimes also might have some bugs when its infected for example. this is the guide to reset the key:
To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value,
if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software,
you may need to reinstall that software.
If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

For firmware upgrade, here is one decent website to download most drive firmware:
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

E. Virus Intruders Spyware Trojan Adware (vista)
Windows Drivers infected: It will come to this mess and you'll need a virus-cleaning or re-installation of windows.
Windows registry error:
Maybe you need to reset the windows registry or either re-install windows.
Here is the method of reseting the registry without reinstall.

1. Click Start.
2. Click Run.
3. In the "open" field type REGEDIT.
4. Click OK.
5. Click "File" in the menu bar.
6. Click "Export" from the drop down menu this will open a new box.
7. click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select "Local Disk (c".
8. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG.
9. Verify that under the ?Export Range?, that the radio button is beside "All".
10. Click Save.
11. Click the plus sign (+) beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
12. Click the plus sign (+) beside System.
13. Click the plus sign (+) beside CurrentControlSet.
14. Click the plus sign (+) beside Control.
15. Click the plus sign (+) beside Class.
16. In the left hand window pane click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.
17. In the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on the keyboard.
18. Confirm with and OK.
19. In the right hand window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key ont he keyboard.
20. Confirm with and OK.
21. Click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.
22. After this is completed, goto device manager and uninstall the drive. Turn off the PC and re boot it, and the drive should work again

F. Final Words
I know my write-up is just simple and not complete, hence if your problem is not solved by any methods
(including searching most websites) i suggest replacing your DVD/CD drive then.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back