Pioneer unveils ultra-slim optical drive for netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In the midst of netbook-fever, Pioneer has introduced an ultra-slim DVD writer, the DVR-XD09. While USB flash drives fit the bill quite well, if you use your netbook enough, eventually a disc will cross your path. As you’re probably aware, a significant portion of the netbooks in circulation aren’t fitted with an optical drive.

Pioneer’s DVR-XD09 is an extremely low profile optical drive that weighs in at a meager 8oz, and is only slightly larger than a music CD case at 5.24” x .58” x 5.24”. Unlike the AC adapter that accompanies most bulky 5.25” enclosures, the DVR-XD09 makes use of USB 2.0 for both data and power. It accepts discs as large as 8.5GB and supports 8x writing speeds for single-layer DVDs, 6x for double-layer media and 24x for CDs.

Pioneer is readying the DVR-XD09 for an August launch, and it will sell for about $80.

Permalink to story.

I don't understand any of those old-fashioned physical dimensions for size and weight, left over from generations ago. Use proper SI units that everyone in the world understands.

I'll keep my larger one and not spend 80 bucks on a DVD drive...

At this time I keep a 2.5" external HDD with ISO's of whatever disk's I would be carrying around, much nicer IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back