Pivot Power, the flexible power strip, starts shipping

Emil

Staff

Quirky is a community of inventors and product makers where users can vote on new inventions based on their merit. Product ideas are promoted through stages from prototype to marketing, receiving input from the community along the way.

One such product is the Pivot Power, a flexible power strip with jointed sections that rotate around one another to accommodate six outlets. The caterpillar-like design, invented by Jake Zien, means the product can be completely put to use. Six outlets means six outlets.

The power strip has just started shipping, but Quirky says it has a limited supply and anticipates selling out quickly. If you preordered the Pivot Power (the original price back in June 2010 was $23), check your email, log in to your Quirky account, and complete your order.

Quirky says it is aiming to honor completed commitments first. All other orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis. You can (try to) buy the Pivot Power now from Quirky.com for $30, but you'll probably have to do more than just cross your fingers.

The Pivot Power has 672 Joules of rock-solid surge protection. It is approved for use in the US and Canada. Future versions are planned for a wider international release, but no timeframe has been set yet.

This is one of those designs that we wish every single manufacturer adopted. Imagine if every power strip you ever purchased from now on actually gave you access to all the outlets it has. Maybe that is just too much to ask for.

Permalink to story.

That is VERY cool! About time someone came up with a solution to the cluttered power-strip problem. Now they just need to make a surge protector version of it and I'll cut a check.

TomSEA said:
Now they just need to make a surge protector version of it and I'll cut a check.
Umm...
"The Pivot Power has 672 Joules of rock-solid surge protection."

Mmmm...I wouldn't consider that "rock solid." A decent surge protector has 3780 Joules protection, plus shielded cabling EMI/RFI noise protection. Would be cool to have an embedded timer in it too like a lot of the newer surge protectors to shut down all of your stuff during the night when you're not using it instead of draining energy while in standby mode.

At any rate, this is no doubt going to be a success and there will be a big demand for a more industry-standard surge protection version. When that happens, I'll jump all over it.

what.. you guys havent seen power strips like these before... god, they come in all shapes and sizes.. this isnt anything special.

trillionsin said:
what.. you guys havent seen power strips like these before... god, they come in all shapes and sizes.. this isnt anything special.
Indeed. Rotating/pivoting/expanding surge protectors have been around for ages and if anything, take less space than that power strip.

case(s) in point:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=31259
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=14081
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=19878

There are easily a half dozen (maybe more) such surge protectors on just that site, though the only thing I think the Pivot Power gets you over the others is probably the most amount of space between sockets which depending on what you're plugging in could be a godsend.

hee hee. the boys a genius. marketing genius that is ;)

"Tired of only being able to drive straight. Aren't we all. The new "turn-your-car" has a steering wheel!"

Back