Mobo: Asus h87 plus
Psu: be quiet pure power 600w 80+ silver
Ram: can't remember the model but 8gb ddr3

I'm planning to upgrade my cpu, mobo and ram to this:
Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700K
Mobo: MSI Z370 Tomahawk or Gigabyte Z370 HD3
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport Lt Red 16GB 2400 CL16

My questions are:
1: Which Motherboard should I get between those two?
2: This is going to be my first platform upgrade. after all the hardware is plugged in and installed,
should I install any software, format my pc or do I just plug n play?
3: my gpu is pretty large, will it fit on each of those mobos?
4: Since this is going to be a pretty expensive upgarde, how much of an improvement over my
current setup is it going to be, from 1-10. 1 being completely identical, 10 being entirely unrecognizable.
5: Will my current PSU be enough to support the new system plus the gtx 1080 gpu?

Thanks a lot for the help!

I like http://www.game-debate.com/ when it comes to this kind of question. You can describe your existing system and see how it rates for the games that you play - then you can do the same for the system you want to build - then compare. My guess is 'not much improvement' as the GPU is the key element.

If you have a good system - one which works well now, I would suggest that you plan to spend more on a totally new system (new PSU, new case, etc - GTX 1050TI to replace 1080 in old system). It might take several weeks to work the bugs out. It gives you a second machine if either one fritzes out. It allows you to sell a working system rather than fill a drawer with parts (I should know - I can probably build 4 machines from my 'extra' parts).

GPU size - get measurements from specs and measure case to motherboard space as well as slot clearances. A too fat GPU can kill use of a slot or prevent connections on mobo - a too tall GPU will keep the case from closing - a too long GPU is hopeless. I guess that is why NewEgg offers 30-day exchange (better to measure first).

This is my opinion. Someone else might think it is a fantastic upgrade. You have tools to check that out.

I'd go with the Tomahawk and you're looking at an improvement of an 8-9/10 in your scale if you base it off of overall % improvement in performance. Your GPU will fit just fine and your PSU is plenty good to run it. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 + GTX 1080 running off of a 620W PSU. Both are overclocked. As far as windows goes, as long as every other piece of hardware stays the same and you have Windows 10, you should be able to utilize your existing install while only having to install the various motherboard drivers, however, it is always recommended that you perform a fresh install.

As far as Cycloid's concerns about the GPU, they have merit but I would not worry as much as these motherboards come with at least 2 PCIe x16 slots where you can move the GPU to accommodate for cabling and other components. If your concern is GPU sag and possibly ripping the slot, I recommend investing on a GPU bracket.

Short Edit: The Tomohawk will accommodate any GPU you put on it without interfering with any other hardware/cabling. Also the main PCIe slot is shielded which is supposed to provide some extra support against sagging. I would still recommend a bracket if that becomes an issue as it's not a motherboard problem but rather a flaw in modern GPU and case designs.

Back