PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds isn't getting a single-player mode anytime soon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds creator Brendan Greene said during a Reddit AMA earlier this year that he would love to add a single-player campaign to the game but temporarily sidelined the idea due to a lack of time and resources.

On Friday during PAX Aus in Melbourne, the question came up once again.

In a chat with GameSpot, Greene revealed that he had written some backstory on the game’s island but only did so to give graphic artists a reference point to help create a more authentic, believable environment.

This lore gave way to an idea that Greene thought would make for a “pretty cool” single-player mode and perhaps even a co-op single-player campaign. But unfortunately, just as before, Greene cited a lack of resources and time as a major hurdle. In fact, he said they have no plans to add anything like this [a single-player campaign] to the game but said they might explore the idea “some day.”

As Cal highlighted just the other day, focusing on a non-core strength (like adding a single-player campaign to a multiplayer title or vice versa) typically just dilutes it all.

Greene said during the interview that he was also interested in bringing cross-platform play to PUBG. The experience would be the same on both platforms (PC and Xbox One) although he questioned how to bring the two factions of players together in a fair manner (PC gamers typically smoke console players due to the added precision that a mouse and keyboard afford).

No formal announcement on the matter was made, however, outside of Greene simply saying that they would like to see it happen.

Permalink to story.

"although he questioned how to bring the two factions of players together in a fair manner"

Just split matchmaking basing on controller, not on platform. XB1 can support mouse and keyboard, while PC supports gamepads.

No proper single player campaign = absolutely no interest in the game from me.

this is not a single player game. Just to cater to the minority for this game is a bad idea. They should be working on fleshing out multiplayer not single player which will loose its value rather quickly. Unless of course, they will charge for it...

Might make sense to give it a try - making good use of engine and all the assets already created , BUT it should be a separate dev group able to focus on a single-player with real AI and story rich unfolding plot. Cannot be done well in conjunction with multi-player.

Single Player?!! Oh god....
What's the story based on? Oh, let me guess, you're on an island with 99 other people and you have to find weapons and fight to survive. Yup totally original.
Just play the game as it is and stop pretending you have good ideas for a game people. ;)

No need to have a single player mode in this game. Wierd that some people want it.

Single player is dead and can give you 10-20 hours of gameplay. Then it becomes boring. And I ain't gonna pay 60 euros for 10 hours of gameplay. PUBG is a perfect example how you can create an amazing game that costs only 30 euros. Not sure if they wanted it to be 30 euros game in the beginning but this could lead to having other developers decreasing the price for future games.

A single player campaign for a game with zero plot besides being the last man standing sounds *****ic to say the least.
So The Hunger Games is *****ic... ? Not that I like the movie but it has the same kind of plot and the story makes sense. That game could have a single player campain with a last man standing principle behind it. Depends what the designers and writer come up with.

So The Hunger Games is *****ic... ? Not that I like the movie but it has the same kind of plot and the story makes sense. That game could have a single player campain with a last man standing principle behind it. Depends what the designers and writer come up with.

I personally was not a fan of THG, but I just don't see the point in putting a single player campaign. It wouldn't pay out in the end for the time investment it would require. The whole appeal to the game is to murder other real players and yell obscure insults at them. We don't need more drama getting in the way of our Chicken Dinners.

Back