Playing Call of Duty Can Improve Your Driving Skills

I find it interesting that while the studies used for this article were all several years old.... it gets released now... and mentions "Call of Duty" multiple times...

I find it even more interesting that the new Call of Duty game was released just a month ago.... and isn't getting the rave reviews that Activision wanted (or perhaps NEEDED considering the stuff going on with that company right now)...

Could these things be connected? Nah...

Last week, I was in the left lane driving on the highway. Suddenly a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the middle lane decided to merge right into me! (This, despite having Blind Spot Warning lights.) The Grand Cherokee was less than a foot away before I realized they didn't care I was honking my horn.

I swear if I hadn't been playing racing games such Forza, Project Cars and Forza Horizon during the pandemic, I would never have had the acuity or the reaction time to hit the brakes and get out of the way of the ***** driver and most certainly would've been in a terrible accident.

Skills from video games can definitely help keep you safe in the real world!

I find it interesting that while the studies used for this article were all several years old.... it gets released now... and mentions "Call of Duty" multiple times...

I find it even more interesting that the new Call of Duty game was released just a month ago.... and isn't getting the rave reviews that Activision wanted (or perhaps NEEDED considering the stuff going on with that company right now)...

Could these things be connected? Nah...

Given that Vanguard IS getting good reviews, and TechSpot operates in the EU and is required to declare paid promotional articles, no, they’re not connected.

Given that Vanguard IS getting good reviews, and TechSpot operates in the EU and is required to declare paid promotional articles, no, they’re not connected.
Sorry... by reviews... I meant SALES... and those are down year-over-year...

As for Techspot declaring paid promotional articles.... that's only true if THEY are the ones getting paid... but this article, like most that they post in the "news" section, is simply reposted from a different site (use google, you will find this article in numerous places), and I would guess that one of THOSE sites got paid...

Some years ago I was brutally rear-ended while stopped in traffic on a freeway. Somehow I had the reflexes to steer into the grass median instead of hitting the car in front of me. I like to attribute that to FPS gaming :)

The schocking state of "science" is astonishing.

"The researchers tested this by having the two groups keep a cursor within a white square as it moved around a computer screen. At first, both groups performed equally. As the participants continued to practice, the gamers showed far better and quicker improvement in keeping the cursor in the square than non-gamers."

"They tested participants using a driving simulator. One group played action games for 5 to 10 hours, and the other played slower-paced games. The study found that the action players performed markedly better in subsequent simulator testing than the non-action players.

This literally proves nothing except that the gamers were more proficient with a mouse due to gaming, aka the more you use any tool, the better you get."

Results in the driving simulator do not tell how the person would perform IRL.

We already know that performing any activity alters the structure of the brain. If you read a lot, you will develop the area/areas responsible for reading and processing, they will increase in size. If you stop reading, the changes will revert. So no, those results are not permanent, nor semipermanent. The area will eventually shrink, it just takes time. It took years to develop, it will take years to shrink, not just the six months when the study was performed.

This is not science, this is tier 3 garbage pseudo science.

I never knew a game which aims for you on the controller could make your hand eye coordination better. If you want good example if hand eye coordination play valorant or csgo.

I'm in my mid 40's and have been playing COD on PC for many years. I do notice my cognitive abilities are much sharper and keen compared to others I know around my age that don't play.

Not shocking, if for no other reason then reaction time. One thing I see looking at various crash videos on Youtube (a guilty hobby, I know) is how *slow* most people are to react. Guys who play CoD aren't going to have >1 second reaction times.

When stuck in traffic, I log into GTA online and murder everyone indiscrimatory. Its great way to vent.

Last week, I was in the left lane driving on the highway. Suddenly a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the middle lane decided to merge right into me! (This, despite having Blind Spot Warning lights.) The Grand Cherokee was less than a foot away before I realized they didn't care I was honking my horn.

I swear if I hadn't been playing racing games such Forza, Project Cars and Forza Horizon during the pandemic, I would never have had the acuity or the reaction time to hit the brakes and get out of the way of the ***** driver and most certainly would've been in a terrible accident.

Skills from video games can definitely help keep you safe in the real world!

I like my gaming (wife thinks it's a waste of time, I should have her read this article). I play all types of games - fast action type ones such as CoD and slower paced games such as tactical/RPGs that are turn based.

I wouldn't put it past the fact that my gaming has helped me become highly aware of my surroundings when driving. I can pick out drivers that could be problematic for me or others as I'm going down the road and I anticipate their actions. I know if someone is going to be racing up to beat everyone else just to be a couple of spots a head of where they would be if they just merged over in a safe manner. I know those cars that are going to cut multiple lines of traffic. I know those cars that are going to blow through a stop sign or stop light. I know when someone is going to pull out in front of me and I'm ready to stop to avoid hitting them (I swear this happens at least once a month).

Now that I'm heading home from work here soon, I'm going to treat myself to more fast paced gaming to help keep my driving skills top notch!

The schocking state of "science" is astonishing.

"The researchers tested this by having the two groups keep a cursor within a white square as it moved around a computer screen. At first, both groups performed equally. As the participants continued to practice, the gamers showed far better and quicker improvement in keeping the cursor in the square than non-gamers."

"They tested participants using a driving simulator. One group played action games for 5 to 10 hours, and the other played slower-paced games. The study found that the action players performed markedly better in subsequent simulator testing than the non-action players.

This literally proves nothing except that the gamers were more proficient with a mouse due to gaming, aka the more you use any tool, the better you get."

Results in the driving simulator do not tell how the person would perform IRL.

We already know that performing any activity alters the structure of the brain. If you read a lot, you will develop the area/areas responsible for reading and processing, they will increase in size. If you stop reading, the changes will revert. So no, those results are not permanent, nor semipermanent. The area will eventually shrink, it just takes time. It took years to develop, it will take years to shrink, not just the six months when the study was performed.

This is not science, this is tier 3 garbage pseudo science.

Nonsense. You didn't read the article.

Everybody knows that once you master a skill, you can come back it years later. Learning how to ride a bike, languages, musical instruments, etc. You may forget the details but understanding of the underlying structure is still there, which makes relearning far easier.

If you think aiming, reloading and running around improves your driving skills, try vermitide 2 under Cataclysm twitch challenge where you have to do all the above as well as dodge, block, parry, use heavy attacks, push, some heros have to watch their overheat meter on top of that,melee attacks and well timed ults just to get past the beginning of the map.

Question besides driving does anyone else honk to prevent others from colliding into each other and pedestrians? I believe I prevented some potentially crazy accidents where two cars going into the same lane and one car double parked at school drops of a kid to almost get run over from a car parked in right lane that starts moving. Crazy stuff.

When driving you definitely need hyper reflexes to respond to sometimes unpredictable situations. The one that notices the 3rd vehicle in front of them braking might anticipate slowing down earlier as well and not waiting for the one directly in front of you especially if you have a car tailgating you.

Cool, playing CoD improve your driving skillz but melt your brain at the same time with all those 12 yrs old running around, I'll stay on Escape From Tarkov

What about other games? What's so special about CoD? Likely nothing. Many other games in the genre are better and will give you the same benefits.

Back