PlayStation 5 Pro rumors hint at RDNA 3 graphics with up to 60 compute units

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Rumors have circulated all year regarding a more powerful refresh of Sony's PlayStation 5 console, but a new leaker has provided what is purportedly the first comprehensive spec sheet. Meanwhile, another, more established leaker says we may soon know whether the rumored specs are authentic.

An unverified leaker on the Resetera forums claims the PlayStation 5 Pro will offer a 50-to-60 percent upgrade in rasterization performance while doubling ray tracing performance. The new console may also include hardware for machine learning-based upscaling similar to DLSS or XeSS.

If the information is trustworthy, the PS5 Pro's improvements appear conceptually similar to those the PlayStation 4 Pro made over its predecessor. Sony might once again use a TSMC die shrink to improve GPU performance significantly and deliver a minor CPU upgrade.

The leaker, named "RandomlyRandom67," claims the PS5 Pro's SoC, which trusted leaker Kepler_L2 previously called "Voila," is based on TSMC's 5nm N4P process. The shift would mark the console's third semiconductor node after the original PS5's 7nm N7 and Oberon Plus revision's 6nm N6.

Viola's CPU would retain the PS5's Zen 2 architecture and slightly increase the variable clock speed's cap from 3.5GHz to 4.4GHz. It would feature 64KB of L1 cache per core, 512KB of L2 cache per core, and 8MB of split L3 cache. The information supports Kepler's observation of a small CPU upgrade. Memory bandwidth rises from 448GB/s to 576GB/s.

Meanwhile, the GPU architecture moves from RDNA 2 to RDNA 3 with some features from AMD's upcoming RDNA 4 series. Compared to the PS5's 36 compute units, Random67 claims the upgraded model will include 56, but Kepler says 60. Random67 also claims the PS5 Pro features 3,584 shaders, 224 TMUs, and 96 ROPs.

While traditional rendering performance might only increase by half, ray tracing performance could more than double due to RDNA 4's improvements. The new variant might move the task from shaders onto dedicated RT hardware similar to Nvidia's RTX GPUs.

Another performance advantage could come from AMD's recently revealed XDNA2 AI accelerators, which Sony could use for machine learning-based upscaling. Many PS5 games currently employ upscaling through FSR's spatial and temporal techniques, but comparisons with DLSS and XeSS suggest machine learning could improve image quality while drawing fewer "real" pixels, thus conserving horsepower. The feature could serve a role for the PS5 Pro similar to what checkerboard rendering did for the PS4 Pro.

Tom Henderson from Insider Gaming, who in March indicated the upgraded console would focus on improved ray tracing, declined to comment on the new information's veracity. However, he said Sony expects the PS5 Pro's specs to leak this month as third-party developers begin to receive development kits. According to Random67, the company plans for a September 2024 unveiling.

Permalink to story.

When this was first touted as happening I expected it to come out somewhere near a 7700XT in performance. It had to be at least this really, otherwise it would not be a significant boost over the launch hardware. It is still probably nearly a year away which also makes sense.

Very much along the lines of PS4 Pro, which also did little to improve the CPU, memory or memory bandwidth. A fairly modest refresh. It might be nice if they could at least add some more memory to handle the OS/UI and free up a bit of the faster pool for developers, like PS4 Pro. A 2GB DDR4 module maybe.

I doubt Microsoft will respond. Their strategy from the outset was the low end/high end chipsets, which would make it even more complex throwing in a refresh. Sony went with the single chipset which gives them a path to this Pro model.

Sony end up with the standard machine cheap enough to sell big and a faster premium model for the enthusiasts with potentially better profit margins. In terms of hardware sales their strategy has proven superior. This hardware should cope far better with Unreal Engine 5's steep demands which are causing the existing consoles some difficulty it seems.

Why retain Zen 2? This is again like when the Ryzen Mobile 5000 went Zen 3 but somehow kept Vega compute units. Why does AMD keep doing this kind of ****?

Why retain Zen 2? This is again like when the Ryzen Mobile 5000 went Zen 3 but somehow kept Vega compute units. Why does AMD keep doing this kind of ****?
AMD isn't doing anything, Sony places orders for these, namely Mark Cerny, the most overrated HW designer in console history.

And why retain Zen? Because easier compatibility, most likely. For the record, PS4 Pro also had the same CPU arch as the original PS4, and only upgraded the GPU arch. Why? Because most games are GPU-limited on consoles, so don't change things unless necessary.

I doubt Microsoft will respond. Their strategy from the outset was the low end/high end chipsets, which would make it even more complex throwing in a refresh. Sony went with the single chipset which gives them a path to this Pro model.
Why wouldn't MS also do something like they have in the past?
If anything, their Series branding (in anticipation for this) allows an easy letter addition, assuming they stick to the naming convention this time lol

Sure, it will be more annoying for devs to target 3 performance points (if they aim at pro), but I have a feeling MS will want to keep up with Sony (to look competitive).

Why wouldn't MS also do something like they have in the past?
If anything, their Series branding (in anticipation for this) allows an easy letter addition, assuming they stick to the naming convention this time lol

Sure, it will be more annoying for devs to target 3 performance points (if they aim at pro), but I have a feeling MS will want to keep up with Sony (to look competitive).

It just seems unlikely they'll split their user base even more and add further developer load. Both for themselves and third parties they already have to demand optimize for a lower end machine they don't necessarily want to spend much time with.

They could do it but it probably would not be well met at all levels in the company. The Series X is not exactly flying off the shelves.

What chance adding an even more expensive machine for a tiny potential install base?

I won't rule it out but it seems much less likely than it does for Sony.

It's funny how Microsoft's decision to create the Series S has just created an anchor that is slowing down so much potential development. It must be the most disliked console ever. Sure it's great that something like that exists, but the demand for parity means that now PC gamers are playing games that are made for the Series S. It doesn't really make sense.

It just seems unlikely they'll split their user base even more and add further developer load. Both for themselves and third parties they already have to demand optimize for a lower end machine they don't necessarily want to spend much time with.

They could do it but it probably would not be well met at all levels in the company. The Series X is not exactly flying off the shelves.

What chance adding an even more expensive machine for a tiny potential install base?

I won't rule it out but it seems much less likely than it does for Sony.
Just keep in mind that they are pushing software (GP). Keeping up with Sony (as far behind as they might be) I would still see as something to still do.
Yes, it won't break them if they don't, but I don't see MS skipping out on throwing their weight around a bit (especially after how annoying Sony was towards them with the Activision acquisition) lol

Just keep in mind that they are pushing software (GP). Keeping up with Sony (as far behind as they might be) I would still see as something to still do.

Yes I agree that's their aim. So the the argument inside the company should be make the software more compelling, if that's the goal.

Leaks seem to only support the existence of a refresh of the existing models next year, with no significant performance enhancements.

Releasing more expensive faster hardware isn't fixing the lack of Series X sales. Hardware is not their problem. If someone with enough influence in the executive argues that it is then ok, we'll see yet another Xbox model.

AMD isn't doing anything, Sony places orders for these, namely Mark Cerny, the most overrated HW designer in console history.

And why retain Zen? Because easier compatibility, most likely. For the record, PS4 Pro also had the same CPU arch as the original PS4, and only upgraded the GPU arch. Why? Because most games are GPU-limited on consoles, so don't change things unless necessary.

I assumed he meant to say why not Zen 3 at least, there is no compatibility issues to worry about and there's a huge delay un til PS6 comes out in 2028, so cpu should also be upgraded IMO. PS6 is supposedly using Zen 7 derivative, so 5 generations of cpu is massive.

I still wonder how Sony would sell this to Joe Wal-Mart who doesn't know what a CU or Machine Learning is.

For the PS4 Pro it was easy to say "this is the console you buy for a 4K TV," but now all the consoles except the Series S are designed around 4K panels.

Yes I agree that's their aim. So the the argument inside the company should be make the software more compelling, if that's the goal.

Leaks seem to only support the existence of a refresh of the existing models next year, with no significant performance enhancements.

Releasing more expensive faster hardware isn't fixing the lack of Series X sales. Hardware is not their problem. If someone with enough influence in the executive argues that it is then ok, we'll see yet another Xbox model.
I would suggest that we've already seen the "Pro" version of the Xbox in the fact that Gamepass is broadly cross play compatible with any windows PC. If I'm playing a modern game it's generally on PC but with gamepass I can log out on the PC, shut it down for the night and head to bed where I have my Series X connected to my old plasma screen and I can just pick up where I left off for a little bit before I start to pass out.

GP is clearly MS play for profitability going forward and it's already fully PC compatible so why bother to do the R&D for a mid cycle refresh of a console that hasn't been a massive money maker when you can already buy a 7700xt for less than what a probable Xbox pro would cost, pair it with any half modern desktop and you're off to the races. Personally I'd be really surprised if there is another Xbox hardware wise, it's seeming more likely every day from Phil Spencers commentary that GP migrating completely to PC in the form of a subscription Steam competitor is much more likely. I bought Starfield on the MS store for PC partially to see if they actually have sorted their nonsense since the disaster of Games for Windows live and to be honest it has been a silky smooth gaming experience over 200+ hours. I had literally one crash and I'm fairly certain that was a driver conflict with my Xbox gamepad drivers being corrupted in some way on PC.

Sony knows this is MS play as well, which is why you're seeing a device like the PS portal based around streaming and laying the ground work for an expanded and more robust PS plus subscription structure. To be fair to Sony what is there already is pretty damn compelling if you've been a gamer since the PS1 era as their back catalogue is really quite thick. Once both consoles went x86 it was only a matter of time till it made no reasonable sense to be producing a custom structured PC that had a 3-5 year lag from investment to profitability, throw in the rapidly increasing cost of liquid equity as the last of the baby boomers transition their holdings out of the markets and into more ossified financial products and the lower risk path will be looking all the more obvious to most tech companies.

Back