PlayStation Showcase roundup: The most exciting games coming to the PlayStation 5

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: On Thursday, Sony held an online event to inform players what is currently in the PlayStation pipe. Many of the games we knew were in the works, or there were rumors of them. However, there were a few surprises, including a new Marvel franchise featuring Wolverine.

We've included the entire 40-minute presentation above for those interested. Read on if you only want the down and dirty of the best trailers the showcase had to offer.

KOTOR Remake

Sony started with an official reveal for a remake of the classic Star Wars RPG Knights of the Old Republic. There have been squashed attempts at fan remakes and rumors of official remakes, but Lucasfilm Games and Aspyr are making it happen. The trailer is just a teaser—no gameplay, no release window. It is likely in the early stages, so we can expect to hear more about it sometime down the road.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

We first heard of Tiny Tina's Wonderlands in June with the cinematic announcement trailer. Yesterday, Gearbox Software revealed some of the gameplay. The Borderlands spinoff is set up like a Dungeons and Dragons game, but with guns and Tiny Tina as the dungeon master. Most importantly, the trailer revealed a release date of March 25, 2022. So not too long a wait to get our hands on this one.

Rainbow Six: Extraction

Ubisoft had a new trailer for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Extraction. The game has been in the works for a while and takes the franchise in an unexpected direction. In Extraction, players will face off against an unknown alien threat. We've got monsters and new futuristic weaponry. What more could you want?

Alan Wake Remastered

A few days ago, Remedy Entertainment confirmed rumors of a remaster of the 2010 Xbox 360 classic Alan Wake. At the time, the developer only mentioned it would be out this fall. During the showcase, Remedy gave us a peek at what it will look like on the PlayStation 5—in a word: spooky. That's perfect because Alan Wake launches on all platforms on October 5, just in time for Halloween.

GTAV PS5 Remaster

In May, Rockstar confirmed it was working on a Grand Theft Auto V remaster for next-gen consoles. It said that it would be ready by November 11. Apparently, that timeframe was a bit too ambitious. As the new trailer reveals, the game will not be ready until some time in March next year. It appears the devs need a bit more time to deliver the "improved graphics, enhanced gameplay, and seamless character switching," as they promised.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy got a new story trailer. Producer Square Enix revealed that pre-orders for the game are now available, with the game set to ship on October 26.

Spider-Man 2

Hold on. Marvel is not done with you. We already knew Insomniac was working on a sequel to its 2018 hit Spider-Man, but it decided to tease us with a taste of what's coming. In the newest installment, Peter Parker and Miles Morales team up to take on Venom. If the devs stick with the winning formula used in their other two games in the series, this one should be a no-brainer for a pick-up when it releases. However, we still have quite a wait. It's not due for launch until 2023.

Wolverine

Wait. Did I say Marvel was done? No. It had one more surprise announcement. One of the reasons Spiderman 2 is still a ways off is because Insomniac has secretly been working on a Wolverine game. The teaser does not reveal a whole lot about it—not even a release window. That said, I would love to get my hands on a quality title starring Wolvie. SNIKT! SNIKT!

Gran Turismo 7

PlayStation's premier racing sim is back with Gran Turismo 7. The franchise has always prided itself on its shiny realistic graphics, and that has not changed. The game looks gorgeous on the PS5 hardware. But it's not just GT Sport with a new coat of paint. There's a new map/menu system, and the cars are much more customizable, both mechanically and aesthetically. The racer arrives on March 4, 2022.

God of War: Ragnarok

Last but not least, we've finally been treated with a trailer for God of War: Ragnarok. Sony's PlayStation exclusive God of War series returns as Kratos and his son Atreus try tracking down Tyr in search of answers to the boy's burgeoning powers. Unfortunately, there was no word on how long we'll have to wait for this one.

Those were the best of the best, but there were plenty of other great reveals and updates in the show, including news on Vampire The Masquerade: Blood Hunt, a new Deathloop story trailer, A Thief's End/The Lost Legacy remaster, and more. Just check out the masthead trailer if your want the full details.

Permalink to story.

Good luck getting one

I've got one, both of my daughters have got one, my brother has got one and my friends that wanted one have got one. I was lucky, I got one a week after launch with no fuss or anything I ordered it and it turned up (much to my surprise I have to say) but everyone else has just paid a small deposit (£20) and within a couple of weeks they have been able to go pick it up or have it delivered, as it turns out you don't need any luck getting one, you just need to secure one with a small deposit.

I thought the showcase was a real disappointment, walk, slash, shoot, kill, repeat, where is the innovation? GT7 looks beautiful but the obsession to detail with it is enough to put you off, it'll be a 6 month grind to earn a new lightweight bolt for an inlet manifold knowing Polyphony.

The most played game on my PS5 is The Binding of Isaac and that is a PS4 game that looks like it belongs on a ZX Spectrum, no 3D, no ray tracing, just compelling gameplay.

Hey Mr. Cal Jeffrey, not all those games you listed are in the most exciting list and you missed some that are...

GTA5 Remaster? Really? NO.
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands? NO. Pretty average.
Rainbow Six: Extraction? NO. Above average.
Alan Wake Remastered? NO. It's nice for those that didn't play it yet, but it's more hype than anything. Above average.

But you missed these 2 new games that look great and have potential to be great too:
Forspoken and Project EVE.

Of course the stars of the show were: KOTOR, Wolverine, Spiderman 2, GoWR and GT7.

Last edited:
So basically if you're not a fan of superhero movies and are tired of remakeitus / sequel fatigue, there's literally nothing original to play?...

As for KOTOR Remake, the word is one of the senior writers (Sam Maggs) is one of those hyper-political censorship-on-steriods types. When asked what her favorite Star Wars game was back in 2019, her response was "Not KOTOR." So you know exactly how that's going to turn out...

Most of games I want to play on Playstation are already out. Gran Turismo and God of War are the only games on this list I find interesting and maybe Horizon Forbidden West which is not on the list.

Boring dross IMO. Remakes, remasters, HD ports, whatever you call them are a waste of money, especially in the modern era where said remakes usually lack the charm of the originals. And why would I buy a $600 console to play the same games again?

Then there's marvel which....man way to miss the train. These games should have been coming out during the avengers crazy, not several years later. Guessing the squeenix game will be just as boring as their avengers..thing.

The rest are just sequels to previous games, one being a racing game that has alienated much of their former player-base and the latter being a hairy dad sequel to a hairy dad game, now with diversity! We all know how this goes....

IMO this generation is another major swing and miss, much like the PS4, where everything was a remake, remaster, or sequel featuring hairy dads. None of the expressive inventiveness of the PS1/2 era.

Look, I`ll appreciate a good remake (FFVII, RE2/3), but I`m getting sick of remasters and vapid sequels. Also, I thought the superhero era has passed. So, between scalpers, overpriced offers and mostly shitty exclusives I see no reason atm to upgrade my PS4.

Here's the thing, maybe after Sony sells again over 120 million PS5 consoles (most likely more) and these so called boring remakes and Marvels and sequels, sell dozens of millions of copies each, maybe then those that are so unimpressed and jaded by these games realize that:

1. They are the minority group with how they feel.
2. They are no longer the targeted players for these games (so maybe you changed and games changed too).

I don't like all the games that come on PS5, maybe not even half of them, but enough of the exclusive ones to make me want to buy one. Though I'm waiting for a Slim and preferably black, so that's 2022. I have enough to play on PC until then.

Gt7, gow, project eve, kotor are very interesting titles. Guardians and wolverine will be surely fun games. Very happy with that selection, especially with horizon coming shortly and currently enjoying ghost of Tsushima and tales of arise. Great place to play, but my most anticipated game is total war Warhammer 3. Can't wait.

Hey Mr. Cal Jeffrey, not all those games you listed are in the most exciting list and you missed some that are...

GTA5 Remaster? Really? NO.
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands? NO. Pretty average.
Rainbow Six: Extraction? NO. Above average.
Alan Wake Remastered? NO. It's nice for those that didn't play it yet, but it's more hype than anything. Above average.

But you missed these 2 new games that look great and have potential to be great too:
Forspoken and Project EVE.

Of course the stars of the show were: KOTOR, Wolverine, Spiderman 2, GoWR and GT7.
Everyone has varying opinions, which is why we always try to include the entire presentation when possible. And I actually agree with you about Forspoken and Project Eve. I would have included them, but it was already running rather long. They look awesome though.

Here's the thing, maybe after Sony sells again over 120 million PS5 consoles (most likely more) and these so called boring remakes and Marvels and sequels, sell dozens of millions of copies each, maybe then those that are so unimpressed and jaded by these games realize that:

1. They are the minority group with how they feel.
2. They are no longer the targeted players for these games (so maybe you changed and games changed too).

I don't like all the games that come on PS5, maybe not even half of them, but enough of the exclusive ones to make me want to buy one. Though I'm waiting for a Slim and preferably black, so that's 2022. I have enough to play on PC until then.
Here's the thing, being in the minority of such a large market, and not being catered to by the powers that be, are not reasons to simply stop talking about the problem.

Say these "gamers" realize the above, which you assume they already dont know, what's your point? That games becoming a homogenized blob of low effort garbage is a good thing? That people who want something innovative shouldnt speak?

Back