Please help! GeForce 5700 - Bad frame rates in FMV's and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! =o)

I'm a noob so please be gentle...

I have a WinFast A360 TDH (nVidia GeForce FX 5700), an Athlon XP 3000+ and 512MB of RAM, running a DVD burner and 3x IDE hd's. For some time now, I have had some issues with FMV's in a few of my games. I have listed SOME of the effected games below (there are others, but these are off the top of my head).

-Driv3r
-X-Men 2: Wolverine's Revenge
-Mashed
-Onimusha: Warlords
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Now when I say 'issues', I'm talkin' around 0.01 fps! You could almost make a coffee in between frames! The games run fine (well, fine for an older card), but it's just the intro and ingame movies that are shockingly slow. You have to repeatedly tap esc. and ret. to try and skip them at the frame shift, which really sucks. Especially with Driv3r because it has movies running behind the menu, so it's pretty much unusable...

Also, all of the 'decent' nvidia tech demo's run pretty average on it too, like 'Ogre', 'Dawn', 'Clear Sailing' and 'Time Machine'. Any thoughts...?

Just another thing: I just got Juiced, and I am getting really bad frame rate spikes. I've been tweaking the options all night but I'm still getting sudden bursts of frame rate increases and decreases all over the place! Like hooning down at 60fps, then slides into about 30fps, then quickly bursts up to 80fps for a bit, which throws me into a wall or a spin because of being unprepared for the sudden game speed increase... Really annoying... =o(

Well, there's my sad tale. Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated... =o)

P.S. Please try and avoid the obvious 'get a new card' thing, because something ain't right here. Why would nvidia release a tech demo for the 5700 if my 5700 runs it at 15fps? Not a good way to promote your product...

Make sure the cards fan is working right and free of dust. Usually when a video card runs hot it will slow down game play. Is it set to run at 8x AGP? Also go into the BIOS and increase the AGP aperature to 256mb. If the card is a regular 5700 and not an LE version you should be getting decent performance. If it is an LE some of them have 64bit memory which cripples the card for game playing and the rest have very low clock and memory speeds.

Thank you for your reply =o)

I checked the fan a few days ago and it had a little bit of dust, but I cleaned it anyway. I don't think that's the problem though, seeing as the issue is with the FMV's in particular games, not the gameplay. For an older card, I'm still quite happy with it's 3D performance, but it's just those damn intro/ingame videos! Warhammer 40,000 - Dawn Of War is another game that plays videos at the dreadful 0.01fps, but the gameplay graphics are sweet as!. I'm no brainiac, but I would assume that it takes alot more out of the card to process polygons and pixels etc, than it would a measly video... Is that about right?

Anyways, with this BIOS thing, I'll try that next time I reboot (not now, I'm in the middle of a couple of large downloads). How do I check if it is set to run at 8x AGP? I'm pretty sure it is a regular 5700, the box says 256-bit Advanced Memory Interface, and the NVIDIA CineFX 2.0 with true 128-bit precision processing. So whatever all that means... =o)

Just on a side note... Are these babies overclockable?

Thanks again =o)

That's what I thought, but I've been all through those settings and I can't find anything at all relating to AGP... =o(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back