Please help my no sound laptop

I have no sound coming out of my windows xp. I tried to download some device that was supposed to restore the card, but the installation would not complete because of an invalid something.. I don't know. I'm highly frustrated. I noticed that on my volume control, all is normal except the balance lever on the pc speaker is not highlighted and I cannot adjust it. I can adjust the volume control alright though. Please help me, I am not computer savvy, and I have spent the last 2 1/2 hours trying to figure this out. I haven't done anything new either. All was working fine yesterday, and today out of the blue, I turn on my computer and no sound.. Nothing is muted. Nothing was downloaded. There are no sounds at all. I have no headphones, so I can't test that.. And no cd's either. I am simply trying to listen to music over the internet, but can not. There are no exclamation points or red signs next to anything in the audio visual area. I don't understand. Please help me. I'm sure everyone is tired of this question, because I'm sure it comes up often. I could not find an answer. Please help.

Welcome to TS

Try reinstalling the audio driver for your PC check with another speaker if you have one or just check the wire connecting the speaker.

No sound?

Hi. Can you try any headphones in the socket, (anything will do, hi-fi, walkman), to see if it's a speaker problem or a sound chip/ driver problem? Can you look in 'control panel', 'system', 'device manager', and see if there are any yellow warning symbols next to any components in the list? Did you make any changes in the 'playback devices' menu?

Back