Please help review this build computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

This computers will be using as our Cyber Cafe Computers both Internet or Office and Gaming... Perhaps some decends game (not those fancy 3D DOOM3, SILEVENT HILL IV "which even my computer having trouble running it")

I let the computer store tech set this up for me, it kinda difficult to build by myself

Please help review this spec and its cost... is it suitable to get it or not or should I change some of its pattern?

The total cost is $455.00 (USD)

CASE ATX W/FRONT USB 2.0
MAINBOARD P4 INTEL CHIPSET
CPU INTEL CEL P4 2530
HDD 80 GB HITACHI 7200 RPM
RAM DDR 256MB PC-2700
INTEGRATED SVGA (64 MB)
INTEGRATED 3D SOUND
INTEGRATED ETHERNET 10/100
INTEGRATED USB 2.0
KEYBOARD ENGLISH PS/2 HI-RES
MOUSE OPTICAL LASER 3D
BIG EXTRA SECOND FAN + PAD
SAMSUNG 15 INCH LCD

Thank in advance

ummm

I'm not ANY kind of expert, but- what is the motherboard? You say Intel chipset, is it an Intel board, as well? What power supply? You don't mention one. Also, you describe the CPU as P4- then you have Cel? As I said, I'm not an expert, and I don't know where you're having this built, but I would hesitate to build a NEW system starting off with PC2700 memory. If that is the maximum your mobo will handle, then it won't be very upgrade-friendly, because any RAM you install will downclock to that speed. You should wait for one of the experts to answer, but I personally would have a few questions about this build. :confused:

I think both MB and CPU are from Intel (that's what they said) and the power supply is 350W... What is it about the memory PC-2700? and what the different?

PC2700 Memory runs at an FSB of 333, rather than 400mhz of PC3200. Basically it is slower (older in design) memory. If your MB can only accept PC2700 Ram, then hewybo is suggesting the MB will not accept any upgrades in the future.

I would point out that 256mb of ram (regardless of FSB) is not nearly enough. Windows XP would prefer 512MB, ideally 1GB. Memory is not expensive anymore, so bare that in mind.

EDIT : The spec shown will not run games that people on the Internet will want to play, it may play minesweeper quite well though.

The system is fine for most ordinary office applications and internet surfing but it isn't very good for gaming. The slower memory (PC2700), inadequate 256MB RAM, integrated graphics (which will tie up some of that RAM), smallish 15" monitor and possible(?) celeron processor all point to unsatisfactory gaming. I know you are not interested in high end gaming but the specifications of the machine are so low that even middle level gaming would likely be an unsatisfactory experience. You appear to have emphasized low cost over performance.

You will attract few gamers with this setup. Perhaps you can build a limited number of machines reserved for gaming but they will cost a bit more. Also, I haven't analyzed it but it seems that for $455 you could have gotten a better PC just buying a Dell and it would have included most of the software you would need. It still wouldn't be a decent gaming machine but it would better nonetheless.

maradms4: Thank for the info, btw what is the easiest way to tell if the RAM is PC-2700 or 3200 and what is the highest? (incase they rip me off, if I told them I wanted to switch to 3200?)

mailpup: You are right, we are lower in budget ($500.00 USD per Comp) and it is difficult, though we wanted our customers to have differents flavour of tastes from mostly Surfing Internet/Office to playing some decend game such as (Diablo II, WarCraft III etc)... I am living in a poor country do not have any big computer store like DELL/APPLE etc only Home Computer Shop, so what is the next best alternative way I should follow?

FYI: SAMSUNG 15 INCH LCD is already USD 200.00; the actual machine only costs around USD 280.00, don't know if it still be ok for it prices... please correct me if I am wrong...

speed

The numbers (PC2700, PC3200, etc.) refer to the data transfer rate in MBs (MegaBytes per sec). The first numbers in the spec- DDR333, DDR400, refers to the clock speed of the memory in Mega Hertz. (Actual clock speed is actually half the number listed-DDR400's actual clock is 200MHz). As was posted above, if your mobo/CPU setup will only handle PC2700, then that's fine, but that will be the MOST you could run in that setup. Regardless, of the RAM speed, as marad said, running Windows at 256MB really limits any other apps, so I would say 512 would be a minimum, even if it's PC2700. Once again, that speed may be all your setup can run, as it is dependent on CPU speed and chipset considerations.

In terms of knowingwhat RAM they are using, the sticks will tell you, if you can see tham before they're installed. As I said, though, it doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to get over on you, as 2700 MAY be all that setup can handle. If you insist on PC3200, but the board can only handle 2700, the 3200 would simply clock down to the system max, thus would be a waste of money. You should really try to get the shop to give you manufacturer's name, specs, model, speed, etc., it would be easier to help more fully. ;)

Yes, you need to give us more specifics, brands and model numbers of the chipsets, and most definately determine wether it is Pentium 4 or Celeron systems, there is a VERY large difference between the two.

Everyone here is trying to be polite, but I'll come out and say it, these systems will flat out suck for gaming. Diablo II will run, WC3 may or may not, I'm leaning towards not.

I personally feel, if you have a budget of $500 bucks a system, that blowing $200 of it on a monitor is flat out foolish... Pick yourself up some 15" or 17" CRT monitors (< $100 each), and use the extra money you free up to get more RAM, and/or Pentium 4 over Celeron.

Don't forget, your integrated 64Mb video card will be drawing its 64Mb from your 256Mb of RAM, leaving a paltry 192Mb to load windows and all your applications. As it stands right now, I'm running some simple office apps, GIMP, IE, Outlook, Blackberry IDE and Perforce and I'm using over 500Mb of RAM (admitedly, a lot of that is used by Perforce and the IDE, so your mileage will vary) But you can understand that with only 192Mb available to your operating system, you will be doing a very large amount of paging, and therefore your systems will be extremely slow to respond.

If you could increase your price ceiling just a bit, you could do a lot more. As it is, you're buying obsolete technology, and you'll be back in this situation in less then a year.

I'm quite understand some of these basic stuff now thank to you guyz... Anyway Cartz I still be prefering LCD over CRT (since it save space and look nicer, etc) so I'm thinking of increasing the budget to some where $600.00 (if I can) and try to get Pentium over Celeron...

By the way could you guyz get me a decend build that cost no less or more than $600.00 (including $200.00 LCD)?

Thankx in adv

omfg

get an amd ditch the pentuim crap
look at the reall world stats
read the reveiws are you insane
why spend all that money building a calculator ?
for word processing? :haha:

computer help said:
get an amd ditch the pentuim crap
look at the reall world stats
read the reveiws are you insane
why spend all that money building a calculator ?
for word processing? :haha:

Although put slightly bluntly, 'computer help' has a point. An Athlon 64 is a cheaper alternative to a P4 and is a great chip for gaming. Considering you are not going to perfom any tasks that would take advantage of a P4's abilty to HT (hyperthread) then a cheaper Athlon64 3200+ Venice core will be a good option. I run a 3000+ Winnie and its rocks with my 6800GT graphics card. The Athlon 64's are the way to go for performance/price.I got my 3000+ 6 months ago for £89.So in $'s thats around $60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back