Please review my Hijackthis log

Status
Not open for further replies.

needforspeed

Greetings-

After following the procedures outlined in "How to remove Begin2Search / CoolWebSearch and other Nasties", deleting any unused apps, defragging, running Spybot Teatimer/MS Antispyware, eliminating as many startup items as possible, installing latest Firefox, etc. I am finding my computer is still running on the slow side.

I ran Hijackthis in safemode and have attached it for your expert review.

Any suggestions for improving performance would be very welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Nothing wrong with your log.
The only program I could perhaps point the finger to, would be Panda. I have no experience with that however, and there is also no info about Panda on our forums.

The web has some positive and some negative comments about Panda, but generally it's considered a good product.

Try to uninstall all unused programs, do a checkdisk and a defrag and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help!

I have already deleted all unused apps, run checkdisk and defragged. Still no significant improvement. Anything I may have overlooked?

As far as Panda goes, I chose it because it has antivirus and antispyware built in. Do you have a better choice for antivirus?

Thanks in advance!

Indeed - you shouldn't rely on one single antispyware app anyway :)

Install AVG from http://free.grisoft.com, and use Lavasofts "Adaware" and also "spybot - search and destroy"

All of which are completely free you'll be pleased to know :)

Thank you Spike. I do have a number of AV apps right now - Spybot, Adaware, and MS Antispyware. I'm running Spybot's Teatimer and MS Antispyware in the background as well as the Panda Platinum Antivirus/Antispyware. I will also download the AVG - then I should be pretty well covered I hope!

Thanks again!

Spybot, Adaware, and MS Antispyware. I'm running Spybot's Teatimer and MS Antispyware in the background

The above should be sufficient alongside AVG as your antivirus, and you wouldn't need panda. Of course, you've paid for panda, which you can carry on using if you want, it's your choice.

That said, It's generally not advisable to run more than one AV on your machine. It's pretty much a case of one or the other. Personally, I'd uninstall panda and use AVG (being completely free), but as I say, that's entirely up to you. The apps in the quote above are all Anti-Spyware, not Anti-Virus.

The "prevent infections by securing windows" thread in this forum should cover you well enough for the most part, if you're interested.

Thank you very much! For now, I may keep using Panda since I just recently purchased it but am going to keep AVG in mind for the future.

How often do most people run their Antispyware software? Once a week? More often?

Also, I have just switched over to Firefox from IE for security purposes but notice that it is slow to download/render graphics. Do others notice this?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back