Pointless and useless posts ...

DigitAlex

Hi guys !

Please read it all before killing me :dead:

thanx

I was just in need to start this b/c I'm unfortunately noticing that there are more and more totally dumb posts on the forums here, like people who seem to have some templates in text files and copy/paste them :haha: like "try to update bios" for an internet problem, "update the drivers", & such usual stuff.

i didnt say it does not work, but some people just answer this to everything. Also many people never read the whole thread and answer some totally irrelevant crap ... Or give people very dangerous advises or post things like "i didnt try this but it might work, ..." followed by some fiction.

also seeing more and more people that just joined and already have hundreds of such pointless posts and just keep misleading people :mad:

i know there is no way to stop it and i also know that there are young people feeling important when they post (maybe :eek: ) and just dumb people like IRL, but still ...

just wondering, maybe some page or stuff could explain the basic rules of a tech and geek community like this one to newcomers, like "read the threads before posting crap", "dont post something just for postcount because no one cares", don't post an answer when you don't know anything about the topic", etc etc

what is your opinion on all this ??

this partially came up after a discussion with Didou ...

P.S. no offense is meant to anyone :D

I agree, there are other forums users can visit if they wish to post crap. Most users here seem to be fairly switched on, so it makes no sense to ruin a good forum by posting poorly considered response. Hopefully we can maintain this forum as a good source of technical info for those that need help with problems.

All users should make an effort to read previous responses and do a little research before posting advice (for disscussions this is not so important), and should make it clear when they are only providing an opinion (where such advice can lead to problems). We all get it wrong sometimes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our best to ensure relevence and accuracy when posting.

Also, please be polite to others at all times, as we don't want these forums to become like some others I have visited.

That's what discourages me sometimes from posting something. There's a sea of crap in my way, and I can't be bothered wading through it.

Yes same thing, I sometimes read a thread and have some ideas but I don't even bother posting and just hit the little button in the right corner ...

Mic > ANOTHER contest ???? you mean there was one ? sounds very interesting :D but anyway I'm too dumb to even try :p

Originally posted by DigitAlex
great comment ;)

oh and *maybe* disallow non-registered users to post also ??

Non registered users can only post in the Got News section, and I don't mind so much if they post there.

As far as the junk etc. it is getting out of hand, but it is still in control. I think we run a pretty tight ship around here and keep things in control for the most part. Of course you cannot always keep people from posting rubbish.

I agree, people should only post if they have experience in the same situation, not if they read it somewhere in a crappy article. This also discourages me, it wastes their own time as well as everyone else's who has to correct them before the person in need goes and does something stupid, dangerous and unnecessary. If you don't know what you're talking about, DON'T POST as no good can come from it; I am sure there are situations where this does not apply, but there are not many.

Mic, I mean no disrespect, but, wouldn't having another contest be just asking for more crappy posts? People posting in every thread they can just hoping that something they post will be helpful. There are those who will take this seriously and post only quality and experienced resolutions, but there will still be the problem with new members and maybe even a few of the older members. Any other ideas? (Not saying the contest would fail of course)

Now this is a perfectly fair example of why non-registered users should not be allowed to post. People like dymepece ruin these boards :mad: . Granted there are not very many of them, but it is still possible for non-registered users to post crap like that out of jealousy or whatever. I am of course talking about the post from dymepece (couldn't figure out how to link directly to a certain post).

Originally posted by timmoore
I agree, people should only post if they have experience in the same situation, not if they read it somewhere in a crappy article.

Whereas I can see what you mean, this'll seriously hamper solutions being found... There are limits to what configurations/problems people on this board has encountered, and thus if we should only talk about what we've experienced ourselves, many threads would go unanswered...
But I agree that people should do a through search before they post, and when they do, they shouldn't post like it was written in stone....

So if you want to help someone with a problem you haven't encountered yourself, do a thorough search of other boards/the rest of the net... Don't just post whatever the first result you come across, but make sure it's a viable solution...

Originally posted by timmoore
Mic, I mean no disrespect, but, wouldn't having another contest be just asking for more crappy posts? People posting in every thread they can just hoping that something they post will be helpful.

That depends on the contest rules...
In the previous contests, one of the prime criteria has been quality posting... You could spam all you wanted to, but that would only lessen your chances to win...

It's not like many other "register, post 100 posts and you're eligible to win" contests out there...

More onto the topic>
Yes I very much agree... These days I just skim the board to see if there are any interesting posts, which I either know the answer the instant I read the problem, or feel very much inclined to try to help...
And the topic itself has to interest me to click on it...

I'm very glad I'm not a Moderator and have to read through it all...

Note: I'm not saying that all posts here are of low quality, but rather that there are more of them than it used to.

This wouldn't be much of a problem if those who posted took notice of what has been answered before...
Remember, the search function is your friend:wave:

And if they could structure their posts in an easily accessible way.
A topic which says what the problem is, a post which tells you in more detail about the problem, how & when it occurs, then goes on to list all relevant specs (mobo, GPU, OS, and other hardware that might be at fault)...

And last, remember that there is such a thing as a backspace button which can remove what you've allready written... There is no reason to say one thing on one line, just to say "err... NO, that's not what I mean to say... It's actually more like......"

.02$

EDIT

timmore> Unregistered users are allowed to post in the "Frontpage News"... And this is because TechSpot wants them to be able to post there...

But I agree that the comment you linked shouldn't have been allowed...

Thank you for changing your sig Timmore :)

The quality of posts have dropped drastically recently and there are some members who do nothing but make these useless and even hindering posts. By not fully reading the posts and replies, they assume things and they make suggestions based on those assumptions.

This kind of crap posting is discussed to great lengths in the IRC channel, as well as what might be done to reduce it.

JSR - you have 34 posts and are here telling people that are complaing about the lack of quality to leave? People that are complaining have a right to complain and I agree with them. You aren't going to get people with over 500 posts that have been registered since we were on Jawbreaker and before to leave, if we want to complain about crap posts we will.

You have to admit - Installing drivers and flashing a BIOS can fix a wide array of problems. ;)

It does seem like some people do not take the time to narrow down their questions and solutions.. They just start out with the same old, general template.

I feel the same way about myself from time to time actually.. But I think that is because I find myself responding to many repeated problems that have happened before.. Or very close ones.

To be honest with you, I haven't really noticed anyone suggesting BIOS and driver updates over and over again. Care to PM me with some examples? I'm curious. :)

Originally posted by SNGX1275
JSR - you have 34 posts and are here telling people that are complaing about the lack of quality to leave? People that are complaining have a right to complain and I agree with them. You aren't going to get people with over 500 posts that have been registered since we were on Jawbreaker and before to leave, if we want to complain about crap posts we will.

Hey! I resent 500 posts. I was on jawbreaker and had around 150 posts, but then I left.. by the time I came back it was this board and I had to make a new profile.

I agree that sure you have a right to complain, but that can't really solve the problem, can it? IF the problem is bad answers, perhaps post a guideline to answering or enforce stricter moderation (although both are unpleasent). As a board grows in size there is not much you can do to prevent the growth of unwanted/unhelpful posts along with it. Some things you just have to deal with, or take new measures to prevent them.

Wow! I already have 33 post.I"ll be the first to say "Im sorry If Im part of the problem".(Being here only a couple days).Im 38,so if anyone could care less about post count,it would be me.I see what your saying DigitAlex.Well,now Im paranoid,am Im contributing or am I part of the problem,should I post or should'nt I.Uh..Uh..Iya...

I agree with sput_1, I hope I'm not part of the problem. I'm fairly new here too. I am very paronoid too, because there's a thread here where everybody talks about building there on computers and how bad prebuilt suck. Well I've got one of those prebuilt ones. I suddenly awakened to the fact that I'm 57 years old and I'm about the only one here who doesn't have enough smarts to build his own, I don't understand why I didn't see that a long time ago, just blind I guess. I to don't know if I should post or not. Pretty much decided to just sit around and watch and listen. No matter what anybody says, this is one of the best forums around. In general everyone acts in a mature manner and the Mods do a good job of taking care of problems. Most other forums I've been to must have no rules about language and flaming, because it goes on all the time. But not here. All I can say, is, I think this is the best forum around and everybody keep up the good work.

Originally posted by DigitAlex

Mic > ANOTHER contest ???? you mean there was one ? sounds very interesting :D but anyway I'm too dumb to even try :p

Yes, there was a contest. There have been several.

I won it once. I got first prize. It was a motherboard. I used it to build a new machine some time later.

Usually, one is judged on number of posts, but also on the quality of those posts.

Its one thing to post a hundred replies of "I concurr" after someone has said something bright.

And its quite another to be the one that is CONSTANTLY SAYING THE BRIGHT THINGS.

Its not easy to win, at least for mortals like you lot. ;)

As a previous winner, though, its most likely that informally I and numerous other of your Masters ( ;) ) would be excluded.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
You aren't going to get people with over 500 posts that have been registered since we were on Jawbreaker and before to leave

I think i m one of them...hehe...!

well sorry about starting such a thread guys, i wasnt really complaining but just wanted to say all this is very sad ....

and yes, most of the ppl who answer crap are young ppl, because (hopefully) adults know when they don't know something, they know how wide and almost infinite is the knowledge etc.

i don't know what about you, but the more I grow (yep im only 22 :p) the more I realize I don't know anything in fact ...

Well I was only throwing ideas anyway, as I said, no offense was meant to anyone

Back