Polaroid's new I-2 instant camera seamlessly blends analog with modern tech

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Does it matter? Polaroid has introduced a new high-end instant camera that blends the traditional analog shooting experience with modern tech but at $599.99 plus the ongoing cost of film, is anyone going to care?

Polaroid's new I-2 features a continuous autofocus three-lens system with an aperture range of f/8 to f/64 that utilizes LiDAR (light detection and ranging) to help ensure an accurate focus. The instant shooter carries a fixed focal length of 98 mm and is compatible with 49 mm filters, we're told.

Inside is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that should last for about 15 packs of film, and can be recharged via USB-C. A standard 1/4 – 20 UNC tripod mount also comes baked in, as does the 2.5mm jack for using an external flash. The built-in flash is a vacuum discharge tube strobe with a range of about eight feet.

The company's latest instant shooter additionally features manual controls for more creative freedom as well as a large, bright viewfinder. Bluetooth connectivity, meanwhile, enables remote control of the camera and allows for over-the-air firmware updates. It is compatible with Polaroid I-Type, 600, and SX-70 film.

Polaroid said it modeled the new shooter after past iconic instant cameras, and that certainly shows. The machine measures 149.9 mm x 119.3 mm x 91.2 mm (5.9 in x 4.7 in x 3.6 in) and weighs in at 1260 grams, or 2.75 pounds. The outer shell is comprised of ABS and polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) for higher impact resistance.

The Polaroid I-2 instant camera is available now priced at $599.99, and that doesn't include the cost of film that you'll be required to feed the camera in perpetuity.

A single pack of Color I-Type Film will set you back $16.99 and you only get eight instant pictures from it. Buying film in bulk will bring the cost down some (to $14.40 per pack when you buy five at a time) but it's still an expensive way to shoot no matter how you slice it.

Permalink to story.

Just get an Instax for $50. If you don't like the pictures, just take more of them, you will pay far less than if you bought this polaroid.

Trying to get into the "nostalgia" market Polaroid?
LP disks are making a comeback, so they are trying to hop on THAT market?
Nope...I grew up with film from the 60's up to the early 2000's. I wouldn't go back
to film for anything. (not to mention the only place I would take my film knew what they
were doing). I shot 395 frames at an airshow over the weekend. at 36 frame per roll
that would be a little over 10 rolls of film to develop.

Being a photographer for some 55 years and having experienced Polaroid on their simple camera's as well as film for my 4x5 and 8x10 camera's I can certainly enjoy this product, but their price point for camera and film is simply too high hen compared to digital camera's. It may be impossible to build a high qualify analog camera and there will certainly be those that buy one, if no other reason than nostalgia, I have my doubts that the company will survive, much less grow ..... I only wish they still made the 4x5 B&W posative/negative film. That one as fantastic ....

Trying to get into the "nostalgia" market Polaroid?
LP disks are making a comeback, so they are trying to hop on THAT market?
Nope...I grew up with film from the 60's up to the early 2000's. I wouldn't go back
to film for anything. (not to mention the only place I would take my film knew what they
were doing). I shot 395 frames at an airshow over the weekend. at 36 frame per roll
that would be a little over 10 rolls of film to develop.
Polaroid has been riding the nostalgia wave for a while now, ever since they bought Project Impossible.

The tl;dr on Polaroid today is that after the original Polaroid stopped making instant film, the recipe was effectively lost once they laid off their production staff (apparently there were a lot of undocumented steps in the production process). So some dedicated film photography nerds took it upon themselves to recreate polaroid 600 and SX-70 films, and they largely succeeded (though, most would say that the original films still looked better). Once they started seeing real demand for their films, they acquired the Polaroid brand name, and began selling under that name as well. So, yeah, today's Polaroid was literally created to ride the nostalgia wave.

Being a photographer for some 55 years and having experienced Polaroid on their simple camera's as well as film for my 4x5 and 8x10 camera's I can certainly enjoy this product, but their price point for camera and film is simply too high hen compared to digital camera's. It may be impossible to build a high qualify analog camera and there will certainly be those that buy one, if no other reason than nostalgia, I have my doubts that the company will survive, much less grow ..... I only wish they still made the 4x5 B&W posative/negative film. That one as fantastic ....

Never underestimate how much photography nerds will spend in pursuit of their hobby. Hell, a quality refurbished SX-70 will go for $400-$600, depending on the attached accessories and in what condition it is in.

But yes, I would also like to see more of the 'exotic' polaroid films returns. Its unlikely to happen, however. Even if the manufacturing equipment for the large format Polaroids survive to this day, its unlikely the recipes did. Ditto for the B&W positive film (at least for the recipe)

Back