Porsche's first all-electric vehicle will begin production next year

Polycount

Staff

It's no secret that Tesla's competition in the electric car market has increased significantly over the past couple years. General Motors, Nissan, and even Toyota have all come up with their own mass-market vehicles to take on Tesla's Model 3.

However, there aren't many all-electric vehicle offerings that compete directly with Tesla's high-end luxury cars like the Model S or Model X.

That could change soon, though. Porsche just announced their first purely-electric sports car, dubbed the "Taycan," which translates to "lively young horse," according to the company.

Regarding under-the-hood performance, Porsche says the Taycan will feature two "permanently excited" synchronous motors that can put out up to 600 horsepower.

This will allow the vehicle to reach 100kmh (62mph) in roughly 3.5 seconds, and 200kmh (124mph) in under 12 seconds.

Porsche also claims the Taycan will be able to drive 500km on a single charge, which is about 310 miles - an impressive number for a modern electric vehicle. For the sake of comparison, Tesla's top-end 100D Model S has a range of around 335 miles.

The company is fully invested in the electric car market, too, with plans to drop over 6 billion euros into "e-mobility" by 2022. Porsche plans to begin production of the first Taycan vehicles as soon as next year, though it's not clear how much they will cost when they hit the market.

Permalink to story.

Taycan? Lulz, horrible name. Liam Neeson in the adverts.

"I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career...."

Taycan? Lulz, horrible name. Liam Neeson in the adverts.

"I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career...."
Couldn't agree more. Why do luxury car companies always choose such bizarre names for their vehicles?

Perhaps they don't care to call their cars "The Electric Ell" or "Sparks a Plenty", or "Shocking Sportster" ... Hmmmmm, should I copywrite these names for future reference???? LOL

"This will allow the vehicle to reach 100kmh (62mph) in roughly 3.5 seconds..."
"Porsche also claims the Taycan will be able to drive 500km on a single charge..."

Impressive. I was about to say, the 918 is much faster and it's a hybrid. Extending the range makes a lot more sense than it would be to focus on acceleration and top speed right now.

"Porsche also claims the Taycan will be able to drive 500km on a single charge..."

Impressive. I was about to say, the 918 is much faster and it's a hybrid. Extending the range makes a lot more sense than it would be to focus on acceleration and top speed right now.
How so? Elon Musk certainly isn't above flaunting the top speed and accelerartion statistis for his high end offerings.

It's nice for another company and ride the basic nature of electric propulsion to their corporate advantage, instead of Musk claiming he's a genius because electric motors work the way they do.

Electric motors develop their full torque at stall. ICE engines, are quite the opposite.

Thus, with full power available at a dead stop, an engineer would have to be really incompetent to fail to get good 0 to 60 stats from electric power. (Well, unless he introduced power limiting to extend range

Last edited:

Acceleration and top speed are marketing terms used to sell vehicles like these to those with a large amount of disposable income; I bet this thing won't be cheap.

And speaking of Musk, anyone want to bet that Musk nicknames this the "Trashcan"?

Not impressed. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 650HP does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. 1/4 mile 11.5 seconds @125MPH and a top speed of 198MPH.

Not impressed. 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 650HP does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. 1/4 mile 11.5 seconds @125MPH and a top speed of 198MPH.
Yet nobody cares about it. It probably runs out of fuel in 15 minutes. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Tesla, while very expensive isn't really luxurious. Every reviewer said it has cheap materials inside compared to other real luxury cars and it only has a giant tablet which looks awful. It just gets a lot of attention cause it's electric so people think it's hot ****.

Acceleration and top speed are marketing terms used to sell vehicles like these to those with a large amount of disposable income; I bet this thing won't be cheap.

And speaking of Musk, anyone want to bet that Musk nicknames this the "Trashcan"?

Marketing, yup. Until you see shows like The Grand Tour and companies like Bugatti proving it.....

Foreigns are doing it in under 2secs. And they have far better interiors.

Yeah but you're looking at twice the price. The interiors are better but don't believe what you hear we don't live in the 1990's anymore. A few car euro shows have admitted GM has decent interiors but we all of our taste and opinions when it comes to interiors and even the color of the car.

Also when I worked at a GM dealership you can order a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette modded from Lingenfelter from our dealership that does 0-60 in 1.97 seconds! Here is the link for proof.
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/chevrolet-0-60-mph-times/

Last edited:
Yeah but you're looking at twice the price. The interiors are better but don't believe what you hear we don't live in the 1990's anymore. A few car euro shows have admitted GM has decent interiors but we all of our taste and opinions when it comes to interiors and even the color of the car.

Also when I worked at a GM dealership you can order a 2002 Chevrolet Corvette modded from Lingenfelter from our dealership that does 0-60 in 1.97 seconds! Here is the link for proof.
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/chevrolet-0-60-mph-times/

American car interiors are getting better, but only recently. The new Vette is not one of them. My 2007 Altima looks way better than half the junk on the street built after it.

American car interiors are getting better, but only recently. The new Vette is not one of them. My 2007 Altima looks way better than half the junk on the street built after it.
2007.....[/QUOTE]

You are talking about interior only , right? On the outside, Altima 2007 looks ugly as f. When someone suggested to me to check out an Altima when I was shopping for a car, I felt like this person was joking.
I like almost all the mid price Japanese brands starting from 2015. They now try to make their cars look attractive, not just practical and reliable.

The recent Nuremberg Ring test in which a German battery-powered race car bested a similarly-configured gas-powered German race car with a considerably lower lap time really spelled the death knell for gas powered cars.
There are still a great many challenges to overcome but the stop watch didn't lie.

The recent Nuremberg Ring test in which a German battery-powered race car bested a similarly-configured gas-powered German race car with a considerably lower lap time really spelled the death knell for gas powered cars.
There are still a great many challenges to overcome but the stop watch didn't lie.
Assume you mean Nurburgring?......and the LeMann winning Porsche 919 is a hybrid.

"Porsche just announced their first purely-electric sports car, dubbed the "Taycan,"....."
Actually the 'E' was a go for production over 2 years ago.
The pics are of the beautiful 2015 design study....and it's all speculation whether the final product will approach resemblance of same.

Assume you mean Nurburgring?......and the LeMann winning Porsche 919 is a hybrid.

They ran the 2 cars together at the "Ring". The fully electric car was dramatically faster. Sorry for the misspelling but the facts remain. The horse was bested by the automobile, so to speak.

Sorry I had to laugh when you made that Altima comment. Calling my car junk and other GM vehicles? Funny sooner or later your car will be in a JUNKyard while my Camaro's value will climb and will be a classic. I have owned my car for about 3-4 years and I still get random offers at gas stations bars/restaurants for prices of twice what I paid and I still decline since the car has sentimental value (long story.)

Back