Portal for RTX arrives as a free DLC on December 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: A remaster of Valve's 2007 puzzle-platform game Portal is nearly complete. Nvidia has announced that Portal with RTX will drop as a free DLC for all Portal owners on December 8. It's available to wish list now over on Steam if you want to set a reminder for yourself.

Portal with RTX was announced back in September alongside RTX Remix, a free tool that enables modders to add modern enhancements to classic games. The new version of Portal will feature full ray tracing support, hi-res textures and enhanced high-poly models as well as support for Nvidia DLSS2 (and DLSS 3 for those with an RTX 40 series GPU).

Portal with RTX is a resource-intensive game and you'll need some stout hardware to achieve the best experience.

Nvidia said GeForce RTX 3060 owners can expect 1080p 30 FPS with high settings using DLSS 2 alongside an Intel Core i7-6700 / AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of RAM and at least a 256GB SSD. You'll want to bump up to an RTX 3080, Intel Core i7-9700K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for 60 FPS+ on high.

Those seeking the best possible eye candy – 4K with ultra settings at over 60 FPS – will want to reach for an RTX 4080 or better with DLSS 3 enabled, an Intel Core i7-12700K / AMD Ryzen 9 5900, 32GB of memory and a 256GB SSD, according to Nvidia's recommended specs.

Nvidia will host a launch party for Portal with RTX on Steam and Twitch on December 6 at 10 a.m. Pacific. Attendees can expect a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the DLC as well as game code giveaways, new gameplay reveals and a chance to win an RTX 4090.

Nvidia's RTX 4090 and RTX 4080 launched in September and October, respectively, and are both based on the Ada Lovelace architecture. MSRPs start at $1,599.99 and $1,199.99, respectively - that is, if you can find them in stock.

Permalink to story.

Recently played it on Switch and enjoyed it. I don't see how RT can make this a better experience. Now a VR version yes!

Nvidia will host a launch party for Portal with RTX on Steam and Twitch
Yeah, this really calls for a launch party, adding RTX to another old game. Throw a parade about it while you're at it.

Oh ffs, stop milking this cow already, give us portal 3...
Developers want to do it, people want to play it... What's wrong with valve?

because the developers decide what projects get supported inside valve, and most of the team leaders are three-year-olds looking for the next popularity contest winner

its like high school, except on steroids: since nobody has any power the leaders are the most manipulative people on staff - they manipulate the masses into gettin whatever they want, and a portal sequel gets lost in that mess popularity-contest gets you in!

Last edited:
You lost me at "1080p 30 FPS with high settings using DLSS 2" with a rtx 3060. I guess a RTX 3070 won't get much further than that.

Oh ffs, stop milking this cow already, give us portal 3...
Developers want to do it, people want to play it... What's wrong with valve?
There is a huge difference between valve today and the valve of 15 years ago that greenlit things like half life 2, portal, and left 4 dead. Defaultuser touched on it, valve today is a gigantic popularity contest internally, with aversion to new ideas, intense pressure from others, and from the sounds of it a highly toxic system of advancement that pushes out new creative ideas.

Sadly, the success of steam has corrupted valve.

There is a huge difference between valve today and the valve of 15 years ago that greenlit things like half life 2, portal, and left 4 dead. Defaultuser touched on it, valve today is a gigantic popularity contest internally, with aversion to new ideas, intense pressure from others, and from the sounds of it a highly toxic system of advancement that pushes out new creative ideas.

Sadly, the success of steam has corrupted valve.
Agreed, It's really sad that all the guys that could count to 3 left the company

Portal can run on a potato but add Ray tracing and even at 1080p modern GPU like 3060 could manage only 30 fps? For 4k 60fps you need a $1200 4080?
I love new technology but here tradeoff of quality improvement and performance loss are beyond terrible.
Raytracing is cool but without a doubt it needs better algorithms for gaming.
Up next, audio wave tracing!
Up after that, Active npc life simulation instead of computed.
Up afterwards, real-time AI based on massive neural networks controlling NPCs.
Up after that, we will render the entire game world all the time instead of rendering out stuff.

Last edited:
I'll admit I loved Portal 2 and thought for a moment this would be fantastic. Then I remembered that my whole PC setup is 10 years old and would never run this new version and I simply refuse to sell a kidney in order to buy a more modern GPU :(

Back