Portal is free on Steam until September 20

Shawn Knight

Staff member

While the cake may be a lie, the fact that Valve is giving away free copies of Portal is certainly real. From now until September 20, Steam users can download and install either the PC or Mac version of the classic puzzle game.

The most anticipated question is whether or not this is simply a free trial or in fact a 100 percent free game. We are happy to report that the latter is the case. So long as you download and install the title before the 20th, it’s free and will remain that way indefinitely.

Portal is being given away to help promote Valve’s “Learn with Portals” program, an education-based initiative designed to teach school-aged children about science. The program allows kids to design their own Portal levels, meaning they need to use physics, math, logic, probability and spatial reasoning to succeed. What better way to teach admittedly boring skills than designing a video game? It sounds like a win-win for everyone involved.

If you are unfamiliar with the series, Portal was launched in October 2007 as part of a game bundle called The Orange Box. Portal is a first-person puzzle game that requires the user to use a handheld portal device to open inter-spatial portals between two flat planes. The main character is instructed to complete varying tasks by an artificial intelligence called GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) with the promise of cake once all tasks are completed.

The sequel, aptly named Portal 2, was released on April 19, 2011 and is currently available on Steam for $29.99.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if the student designed levels will be available at some point, I'd like to give them a shot. =o

Why do people say the cake was a lie, there clearly was a cake after the ending credits. It's the picture for this article ffs.

Portal should be taught in schools! Seriously if you've never played this game, do yourself a favor and go download it right NOW. No! Don't wait! The dog will be fine for 2 minutes and put down the corn on the cobb. Portal is worth it! One of the best games ever in my opinion.

But you never got the cake, instead you were taken to a furnace, she promised cake! FFS!!!

Guest said:
Why do people say the cake was a lie, there clearly was a cake after the ending credits. It's the picture for this article ffs.

The cake itself is not a lie, it's the promise of the cake that's a lie. Yes, I know you're going to ask "then why not say 'the promise of cake is a lie?'" For that, I have no answer. But honestly...who cares?

"The cake is a lie" has come to the real world. It now means that the reward you are promised will never come to you. A false motivation.

I played it a little and found it to be pretty lame. But I will re-install it again and see if it is still lame.

If youve paid for Portal (the first one) You've made a big mistake.

I didnt even think that you HAD TO PAY. I got it free awhile ago... there are easy methods.

trillionsin said:
If youve paid for Portal (the first one) You've made a big mistake.
I bought the Orange Box, so I'll just think that TF2 and Portal came as freebies with the Half life games. =p

@trillionsin: Obviously people know you can download any game for free illegally. It's not a mistake if you paid for it. You're supporting the game developer.

I'll download a game illegally to try it out, if I like it and know I'm going to play it for more than a half hour, I'll buy it through Steam. Of course if there is a demo of the game available, I'll download that to try the game out.

I'm new to Steam, I've only had an account for little over a month. I downloaded and installed, while it is advertised to be free. I'll check it out later and see if I like it.

I'm more of an RPG type (such as Divinity II) so if you have any recommendation send me a message. :)

I'm new to Steam and downloaded Portal today for free. Even though it says $19.99 when you go further you will see a free download link. My daughter and I are enjoying it. Thanks Steam.

If you haven't gotten it, get it NOW!!!! As of now, you have 31 HOURS to download it!!!! Dinner can wait!!!! Your meeting will survive if you get there 2 minutes later than planned!!!! Go download it NOW!!!! Stop reading and go the Steam store NOW!!!! It is worth it!!!! Get it NOW!!!!

I want to download..... what are the steps? I mean, besides downloading Steam.....

Back