Portland, Maine citizens vote in favor of blanket ban on facial recognition tech

Polycount

Staff
Privacy: Facial recognition technology has always been a source of controversy in the tech community; no matter how it's used. Police departments across the US have expressed interest in using it to identify and catch criminals, and companies use it to improve security. However, in a small -- but significant -- win for privacy advocates, the city of Portland, Oregon has placed a blanket ban on the use of all public facial recognition.

That means private companies cannot deploy facial recognition cameras in public areas and law enforcement officials can't use it to fight crime. Indeed, if officials do obtain critical evidence through these now-illegal means and attempt to present it during a legal case, it must be suppressed by law.

Additionally, any instances of illegal surveillance on the part of officials (including government leaders and law enforcement) could result in a fine (against the city) of either $100 per incident or $1,000 in total.

If that wasn't enough, any city employees caught employing facial recognition technology can be suspended or even terminated on that basis alone.

This measure passed by popular vote among Portland residents today, and the matter cannot be re-polled for a minimum of five additional years. It's not clear how large the margin of victory was for this particular ballot measure, as it was only one of five "progressive" policies decided on by Maine voters today.

Other measures include a city-mandated minimum wage of $15, municipal funding to help new housing projects reach "up-to-date environmental standards," and more.

Permalink to story.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.
I agree with you, to some extent. I mean, when I think about animals burning shops and police stations, I really want them identified and caught.
But then again, we know there will be plenty of people who will keep expanding the use of this tech until there is literally nothing you can keep to yourself.
A good example is the episode in black mirror where there is a tech that can copy everything your eye has ever seen.
Once it saw something, it can be acquired by the agency.

Yet the federal government will continue to do so as well as the sheriff's office and state police as local ordances do not affect them, and they will simply start prosecution at the county level instead. It's a hallow victory

I'm with them! Law Enforcement in this country have abused every tool given to them, further taking away from even our most basic rights ..... I'm all in favor of the police but not those that abuse the privilege of serving us.

Everyone has something to hide. That's why you wear clothes and why toilets are enclosed in stalls. House walls are opaque and blinds exist for a reason, all far before digital devices were ever invented.
That's basic decency but if you have facial recognition it can aid in bringing in criminals and tracking people is useful for stopping things like a pandemic. It has no effect on the ordinary citizen.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.
That's very China approach.
Not guilty until proven guilty. I do not want some people at higher places being able fully map patterns of every citizen in the city. Everyone have right to privacy and automated facial recognition is violation of that right. I do not mind scanning records looking for a single face of criminal of lost child if it won't identify and log other people.

That's basic decency but if you have facial recognition it can aid in bringing in criminals and tracking people is useful for stopping things like a pandemic. It has no effect on the ordinary citizen.

Now you are just playing word games. You are hiding something other's shouldn't be privy to. The same should apply to biometrics.

Back