Possible CD/DVD-ROM issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Had a customer bring me his HP Slimline S3350 pc, initially he just wanted Vista reinstalling as he had tried using the HP system recovery disk and it failed, now it wasn't doing anything.
Using a Ubuntu CD i was able to see that the recovery partition existed and was accessible but there was nothing on the main partition now windows folder etc.

Fair enough i thought Mr Customer has been playing and not telling me the whole truth, so i proceeded to pop my Vista home premium OEM disk and and start the re install process. However it gets to extracting the install files (82%) to be exact and they does nothing and fails the install. I have tried another OEM disk and it does the same just at an earlier stage.
Now i have managed to get Vista installed using a DELL OEM disk, which is bizarre the only thing i noted is that the DELL install seems shorter than a normal Vista install. Obviously i dont want to leave the DELL Vista install on the pc, plus it seems there is an underlying issue.

So could it be that the CD/DVD rom is broken or am i missing something? Unfortunately i haven't got another SATA DVD rom and i have used these disks elsewhere so i am sure that its not the DVD's

Thanks in advance

Does the BIOS allow booting from an external USB optical drive? Do you have one to get around a possibly malfunctioning internal optical drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back