Possible security intrusion - Windows 7 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeddyB

Hey guys, I'm currently running the Windows 7 Release Candidate x64, build 7100. It's been going great and I love it, but just today I seem to have run into some problems. Yesterday, it was fine, today though problems have appeared out of nowhere.
The main problems that appeared were:
1. Total inability to sign into MSN, it will either come up with error message 8100030d or 80048820, depending on its mood. Now though, its reached the point where it will sign in if I retry it several times in a row.
2. I keep constantly recieving "Bad Request" errors when I'm browsing through the internet. Many sites will take a reload or two before loading and even then, may load incorrectly, not to mention some pages occasionally come up with a plain old page %ot found or something similar.
3. ALOT on troublsiwith hitmail, when I try to sign in it will usually play the page not found card at me.

I've tested the browsing problems in both Google Chrome and IE8, and tested the logging into MSN with both MSN and Pidgen. Also I went to the other computer in the next room on the same network, and none of these problems are apparent.
I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials (which took well over an hour) but that only turned up trojan type thing that didn't actually the at all.

Please I don't want to have to do another reformat! I've got 24 gigs of music to move, 22 games to reinstall and then probably near a hundred applications!!!!
If it helps, here are all my most necessary specs:
W7 Build 7100 x64
C2D 2.6GHZ OC@3.0GHZ
Asus P5KR Mobo
Corsair RAM
Microsoft Security Essentials
Interode internet plan

Anymore questions welcome, I would be ever greatful to anyone who could help me with these problems! I've got too much school work to worrie about to have to reformat argh!!! :D

My understanding if you did an upgrade...you habe to uninstall and reinstall EVERYTHING. Just got that from CNN and hour ago.

8 Steps

Thanks for you reply, I have now completed the 8 steps and will attach them to the post.
So far I still seem%0Wto bI having problems. When I try to sign into Gmail in Chrome, I must refresh and try to login in several times and by the time I actually get to the inbox, it almost immediately usually comes up with a message saying that I've been automatically signed out and something to do with someone else signing in from the same browser (?!?!?!). When I tried just then, I got into my inbox eventually, but then it just started automatically refreshing the page%2thvery few seconds.

Another thing maybe worth noting, for at least several weeks now, every time I start my computer, after the Windows loading logo completes, it comes up with the di20 checking screen, but then almost instantly says disk checking has been cancelled. This worries me especially because Windows action center recommended me to restart my computer to fix disk problems like bad sectors etc. I have tried running chkdsk from inside windows in admin mode, but once its done it immediately closes and I have gotten the disk warning again even after I ran chkdsk.

So yeah, alot of stuff there, anyway I would be very happy for your time thank you very much.

Eset

OK I've done the online Eset scanner and it finished.
It was an hour and a half scan and showed up two infections which it quarantined. Although the two infections it did show up were application patches, one which has been there for months and one i downloaded quite a while after the problems started. Also, the problems do still exist. I'm starting to think I might have to reformat, I am currently refraining from entering passwords on this computer and have changed the passwords for my Gmail and Hotmail accounts using the other computer.

Hows your computer running now?

My computer still seems to be suffering the problems, but I think I should note, my computer actually seems to run fine, I mean outside of internet surfing and msn, there are no problems, which is really irritating because that a pretty small problem, yet still probably enough for me to wantawo reformat if it doesn't go away.
Could it be hardware related maybe? I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling my network card. hmph

Stuff

Hows your computer running now?

My computer still seems to be suffering the problems, but I think I should note, my computer actually seems to run fine, I mean outside of internet surfing and msn, there are no problems, which is really irritating because that a pretty small problem, yet still probably enough for me to want to reformat if it doesn't go away.
Could it be hardware related maybe? I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling my network card. hmph

Lemme also note, if this post does appear, it has taken at least 20-30 refreshes for it to do so argh!!!!!!

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD.

So yeah, it seems my problem has dissipated! xD Just when I though it was starting to get really bad and right after a scare where I thought my computer about to completely fail to boot, I log in and there are no problems anymore!!!! xD
It was either one of two things: First, and most likely, after having some trouble with chkdsk, I finally got it so it would run properly on reboot before loading Windows and so yeah, it did that, also I went into my BIOS and disabled a mild overclock I had on my CPU.
It seems it was most likely that it was the disk check though, because I had previously seen several signs that something might be wrong with it (i.e. pop-up message mentioning I might have disk problems and also disk manager wouldn't let me shrink the C volume size because "it might be corrupted."
So yeah, it seems all better now, and let me say thank you to those that pitched in to help out! :)

Good work JeddyB,
yes Windows 7 is good. One week to go (October 22) I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit paid for. I will download the Windows 7 Pro .iso file and burn it to a DVD. The CD key will be in a separate email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back