Possible server question

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothmkr57

I just got my hands on a Lian Li PC-60 case(this is what I bought all this for, the rest is a bonus, Thanks Craigslist!)msi k7d master-L motherboard with 2 amd atlon mp 2800+ processors, 2 thermaltake silent boost cooling fans, a fasttrak tx2000 ide pci raid card, and an ati radeon 9700 pro 128mb agp gpu. 2x1gb patriot ddr400 cl3 ram modules, and last and exceptionally least an Ultra(I am really not a fan of this power supply) x-connect 500w power supply. Now I got the case to replace the generic blah baige one for my own rig, and I was planning on selling whatever components came with the case. But now, knowing what was in there, I am wondering if I should make a server out of this? What does everyone else think? Would these components be good for a server? That is what it seems like they are for, as I have researched the existing compenents. I have everything else but a hard drive or 2. Would this system last and be reliable, especially being used? Thanks for all the insight!

Paul

Servers use hot swappable components (Hard Drives / Power Supplies)
They are set for Raid (2 X Hard Drives mirroring each other)
They have Digital backup devices
They run Server software (Server 2003)
They are usually on a domain

Is this what you want ?

As a basic file and print server, this is more than enough
But as a Domain Server in a business, you may need more hardware (and software)

Indeed.. What would that server serve? You can make a server out of virtually anything - it all depends on the purpose and load.

Linux Internet Server

Minimum requirements:
386 running 25MHz
8 Meg of ram
40 Meg HDD

Info Here

Yours is too fast :haha: please downgrade immediately

all good questions.... I was thinking of hosting my own website and email. SOemthing very samll, maybe a blog for my wife, a few webpages on teh family with maybe a picture gallery and then a few email adresses for us. Thanks for the link to the linux stuff, I have REALLY been wanting to play around with that lately but have felt kind of "out-of-the-loop" and out of touch wondering if it was going to be something that was fairly easy to work with or not??? Any advice on that front?

Paul

Actually Linux IPCOP is an excellent firewall.
I'm not able to go through all the setups and installs, especially on your web/mail server. But have a look anyway.

Regarding your server.
Your system is more than adequate, just require fast SATA hard drives, and only share the 2nd drive (ie not Windows)

and the highest speed cable, you can afford.

That's it

Unless anyone else wants to add

kimsland said:
Servers use hot swappable components (Hard Drives / Power Supplies)
They are set for Raid (2 X Hard Drives mirroring each other)
They have Digital backup devices
They run Server software (Server 2003)
They are usually on a domain
These are the typical components for a commercial/professional server.
For personal work, you can make do with far less.

Before you leap into the pit, you should review your End User License Agreement (EULA)
from your ISP. Most frequently, you are forbidden to host anything on a user license.

For hosting solutions, you really need a DOMAIN name to be registered and
then get a hosting solution license from your ISP.

Several members here will jump all over the above telling you how to circumvent
these issues -- yes it can be done -- but at the risk have having
the ISP shut you off altogether.
The question is one of ethics and that you will have to resolve :)

Best wishes in your effort :)

btw: Linux is a great platform for hosting and Apache2 is the dominate webserver
using Perl, PHP, MySQL --- all of which are OpenSource (ie free).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back