Postings [amounts don't always make sense]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Number of postings;- in profiles, some seem impossible, one was 2000 odd in10 months.....at 4 a day?? & there were more, with even larger discrepencies.
Obviously clerical errors, & therefore no harm done, [it must be my office manager past come back to haunt me!] hope you don't mind me mentioning it, I just get the picture that your Editor likes to have things just so, & is probably unaware.

Before we switched to vB, TechSpot used a different forum software, unfortunately member info/posts were lost in the process, in the other hand we did give our old users their post counts back, that should explain it.

Why give post counts back? Is there some kind of reward for having large post counts? How long before I get mine? Just kidding. I suppose some members probably get a kick out of have large post counts. Doesn't bother me much, as I only do this to pass some spare time.

I feel post counts usually have to do with how much you've contributed to the forum and sometimes how long you've been around.

Post counts are a sign of fildelty, experience, community position... Someone with a lot of posts has some kind of respect. He has been longer in "the house" etc... There are a lot of users who come here and past a certain time don't come back. I don't see nothing bad with that. And, 4 posts a day is perfectly possible, even 10! :)

Post count is kind of a double edged sword, so to speak, on the one hand some look at it as a way to give credibility to the advice a person gives. Along that same line, some see it as a way of making them among some elite group. Though on the other hand, it just means you have made a lot of posts, some here have made a lot of posts yet said nothing, while others have made very few posts, yet have spoken volumes.

Thanx, I was surprised at the varied response, as a fairly new "poster", Iam still finding my feet, & thought that it stated somewhere that postings counted towards "promotion"[you see, I want one of those funky picture motifs under my name, only kidding!], well partly kidding, how DO I get one?
To close, yes Dani, of course 4 posts a day is possible, but the maths didn't work out, did they?, matter closed, TS is too good a site to fall out over such a trivial matter

I agree post counts is nonsense :) if you look how long i've been reg'd... some people have posted waaaaaaay more than me, i personally read alot, but just try to post where i can help :]

but that's just me ;)

n.b. obviously this isn't helpful in any way, so forgive me on this occasion :)

Thanx once again, one little thing, how do you get more than one smiley in your messages?, I click on one to start, & thought that was it.

Post counts are a sign of fildelty, experience, community position... Someone with a lot of posts has some kind of respect. He has been longer in "the house" etc...

I REALLY don't agree. You got some people that have only been a member for a few months and have over 500 or 600 posts! And most of their post only repeat or agree with what someone else has already said.

.....just an observation is all.....

It's all a state of mind. Some people have it, some don't. I don't.

Oops, that's one more for my post count :=).

This same topic has been going on and on.... for a very long time. The fact is, post count is just another factor when it comes to measure how useful an user has been to the community, among other things, that's why we implemented the new ranking system which gives major relevance the long-term commitment and quality level.

https://www.techspot.com/extras/forum_guidelines/faq.shtml

Oh well, I'm no further forward, but it doesn't matter, I'm not bothered, it's not worth the effort, could give me ulcers!, so I'll drop the subject. [sighs of relief all round, especially from Julio!]
To sum up, it seems not how much we say, or how many posts we make, but the quality of what we say.
Thanks anyway!

Julio, I don't have a problem with either having/not having post counts. If it keeps people happy, then by all means have post counts. However, I did find it strange that it was felt necessary to credit users with post counts for posts that no longer exist, and hence cause the numbers to not add up. This seems to underline how some users may feel about the value of post counts, which as many already pointed out, are not truly related to quality/usefulness of posts. They are handy as a guide to show how much contribution some members have made to these forums (as you said), and together with date joined, give a ballpark expectation of the reliability of someone's advice. Useful as a guide only. Amen.

Originally posted by Maurice
To sum up, it seems not how much we say, or how many posts we make, but the quality of what we say.

Nicely put.
Thats pretty much how we see it. Quality not quantity. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back