Power supply for Tyan Thunder K8WE and 2 x Opteron 208 (also, fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hi,

going to make a system with the above board and two processors, and either a 8800gt or 9800 gtx+.

Would this power supply be a good choice?:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/computing/pcdesigner.htm

If not, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally, I have heard that these processors can be quite hot - would anyone care to recommend fans to use for these?

thanks again,

gubar

Thanks for the replies - I'm having a look at that psu along with some others.

Also sorry for the bad link - I've since ruled out the psu I thought it pointed too anyway.

I have another question please - the board has no retainers, though it has back plates and long screws on either side of each processor (the previous owner had a water cooler and has lost the retainers since he didn't need them).

I have one artic cooling freezer pro 64 and I was going to buy another one and use these together with the 2 x opteron 2809s. Would these be ok - and are retainers for socket 940s all the same or varying sizes for different coolers? If so how would I find out which to buy?

Finally, are there any coolers that don't need retainiers and can be screwed onto the screws directly?

thanks again for the help

cheers

gubar

It depends on the current backplate. There are a lot of coolers out there that can be used with a backplate, provided it's the correct one.

How much are you looking to OC the CPU (if at all)? You may want to invest in a cooler like a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme for a high OC. And just out of curiosity, what do you need two enterprise-class dual-core CPUs for?

Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

Basically, a friend has given me the motherboard, two processors and 4 gigs of registered ram. Since I've not upgraded for ages I've decided to build a new system around these parts.

Problem is, I don't have the retention plates and my knowledge is somewhat limited, hence my questions here about how I've going to get fans on this thing! I think the fans I mentioned would be fine - from what research I've done - but I'm just not sure about getting the correct retention module and backplate.

cheers

gubar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back