Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surkitz

so ive decided on upgrading to the 7800GS for my computer (meaning santa is going to give it to me) however, I recently learned im stuck with a 350w powersupply in my computer. The bfg site recommends 400watt minimum with a 12v-20A rail. Ive already been scrambling on newegg shopping around, but Im an agp user still, so how will i know which powersupply will run an agp card @400w or better with a 20A on 12v? the specifications on some of the ones they list are vague as far as what periphrials it can run. some say pci-e but none of the ones ive looked at say agp connector. price is somewhat of a factor here (obviously this is an outdated system so im not looking to break the bank on a powersupply. but the better quality is important i understand)

Agp cards don't have any special power connectors on them and thats why you cant find one that says it does!!!!

Any good quality 400watt psu should do you!!

rik said:
Agp cards don't have any special power connectors on them and thats why you cant find one that says it does!!!!

Any good quality 400watt psu should do you!!

thanks :)...thats pretty much what i was looking for. (btw, why the yelling?)

Except they shoudln't have been noticed this time :p The 7800 card in AGP form does indeed have a power connector on it, and it must be used. Also beware, that card is a monster, hopefully it will fit.

I didn't say it didn't have a power connector on it, i said it didn't have a special power connector on it!!!! If you see what i mean!!!!

AGP alone does not mean there is no additional power connector on it. I have a Radeon 9700 pro AGP on an older machine that has a power connector on it as well as on an AGP Radeon X1650 Pro I also have.

Edit: I just saw your last post, Rik. What would be a special power connector?

I mean there are no special requirements for an agp card!!! As in, if it requires a power plug that any molex will do rather than needing a dedicated one with a different plud and/or thicker wires to carry the extra load that some high end pci-e cards require!!!

Okay. But in the case of the 9700 pro and the X1650 Pro I mentioned, both use a small floppy drive type power connector, not a molex. So there are some exceptions. Of course, some power supplies come with more than one floppy power connector but some don't. The X1650 Pro came with a molex to floppy adapter if needed.

SNGX1275 said:
Except they shoudln't have been noticed this time :p The 7800 card in AGP form does indeed have a power connector on it, and it must be used. Also beware, that card is a monster, hopefully it will fit.

why does the 7800GS require so much power. I mean, am i taking a chance if i buy a 400watt ps that has, say, an 18A rail? can i still use it with just 2A missing

Surkitz said:
why does the 7800GS require so much power. I mean, am i taking a chance if i buy a 400watt ps that has, say, an 18A rail? can i still use it with just 2A missing
Because its an awesome card. It is the best AGP card you can get.

dmill89 said:

thanks for the help. i looked at a few of those fsp brands. too bad i have to have a fan that goes out the back end instead of the top as there is no opening on the top of the case for it.

What looks like a top fan actually is the bottom fan. It sucks air out of your case and blows it out of the back of the psu. I assume the pics are like that merely to show the design. So nothing to worry about there.

Regards Howard :)

gotcha, well that takes a lot of stress off. its awful how long ive been in computers but never messed with a power supply until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back