"Practice" Threads

LookinAround

It would be helpful if there were a thread whose dedicated purpose was letting people post jut to try things out: examples
- , when writing Guide, might take take alot of Previewing before done. No worries about hitting the wrong button by mistake and getting a draft version posted by mistake (OK. I'm guilty of that one :eek:

- but also if someone wants to experiment and play with bb code, etc

I support this suggestion. It is a feature of other boards. If not monitored, there is a risk of inappropriate content. However, I can tolerate offensive material. It would be great if those darn web crawlers could be locked out from the 'practice' forum. Then the harm is kept to a minimum.

My concerns are for content and people posting just to raise post count. We have limitations on PM and links based on post count, if someone makes 5-10 bs posts in that thread then they could post links and PM people.

Right now, you have the ability to edit any of your posts. So I don't really think you need to be concerned about screwing some formatting up or something because you can just edit it to make it right.

Hmm.. understand what you're saying about post count. Don't know how much customization is possible in the underlying code ( i understand the base code comes from a 3rd party) but might be possible to not increment post count for predefined threads

Also, in an example such as this post it takes much time and countless previews to work out formatting for readability, etc.

I guess could still do Edits, but edits of which post? Can take weeks to have the actual post ready for viewing

/********* EDIT ******/

I had the problem while working on it, was working in an message after hitting "Reply" to an old thread of mine. But after all those "countless" attempts hit Submit by accident a couple times (and of course got beat up by someone subscribed to that thread!

Tho i suppose could do edits of a very old post.. save the original.. use it for formatiing.. then restore it when done for the day?

How about giving us the ability to make the thread private until it is completed and ready for viewing, then once the thread has been made public it can no longer be made private.

I support this suggestion. It is a feature of other boards. If not monitored, there is a risk of inappropriate content. However, I can tolerate offensive material. It would be great if those darn web crawlers could be locked out from the 'practice' forum. Then the harm is kept to a minimum.
An elite forum could be created only for those who have achieved certain levels. This brings me back to the early days of BBS systems.

Back