Pregnant teen charged with manslaughter after fatally shooting boyfriend during YouTube...

midian182

Staff member

In an age where anyone has the potential to gain fame and fortune by becoming a YouTube star, the quest for more views can lead to creators performing increasingly dangerous stunts. On Monday, one such prank led to tragedy when a 19-year-old Minnesota woman fatally shot her 22-yer-old boyfriend while recording a video.

Monalisa Perez, who is 25 weeks pregnant, has been charged with second-degree manslaughter for the fatal shooting of Pedro Ruiz III, an offense that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and/or a $20,000 fine. Court documents state she shot him with one of the world’s most powerful pistols – a Desert Eagle .50 caliber handgun – outside their home as the couple’s three-year-old child and 30 onlookers watched.

Ruiz had been holding a hardcover encyclopedia in front his body to try and stop the bullet, which was fired from about a foot away. It traveled straight through the book and into his chest. A GoPro and another camera that recorded the incident were taken as evidence.

Perez was reluctant to perform the feat, but said her boyfriend had been trying to convince her to video the stunt “for a while.” Ruiz had been practicing shooting books and showed one to Perez that a bullet didn’t manage to penetrate – a way of convincing her it was safe.

Ruiz’s aunt, Claudia Ruiz, told WDAY-TV that her nephew told her he wanted to do the stunt “because we want more viewers, we want to get famous."

"He had told me about that idea and I said, 'Don't do it. Don't do it. Why are you going to use a gun? Why?'" she said. "They were in love, they loved each other," she said. "It was just a prank gone wrong. It shouldn’t have happened like this. It shouldn’t have happened at all."

The pair had been making videos on their YouTube channel La MonaLisa, which shows “the real life of a young couple who happen to be teen parents,” since May. The latest video, which was uploaded on the day of the shooting, is called “Doing scary stunts at the fair.”

Permalink to story.

Well she wont be doing that again for the foreseeable future. ;)

Stupid bastards really.

Shame the kid will never meet his father all the same. :(

an offense that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years

I've been reading this for the last 2 days, and it was quoted that she is up to 20 years in prison for this.

I think that a real criminal act would be committed by anyone who suggests that a teenager, and now a single mother of 2 should go to prison for 20 years over this accident. This would be the most inhumane thing I've ever heard of. Surely she must be punished for this, but not like this. In the worst-case scenario, should be like - 5 years, eligible for parole after 2.

On the other side of the coin - what will a prison do to a pregnant teenager? It's horrifying.

Last edited:
As a gun owner its retards like this that give us smart and safe gun owners a bad name. Anyone who pulls the trigger should be ready to accept any responsibility. She was not forced to pull it and should now accept her fate and the people around her who's shes effected.

I also have to add we have 30 more retards that stood by and didn't stop this. They always said if you remove the warning labels that stupidity should correct itself

Last edited:
Darwin award... anybody?
Doesn't count if they successfully reproduce.

The worst part here is they used one of the more powerful handgun rounds. .50AE is quite a bit bigger than most, at ~2KJ energy. Ignoring velocities, let's compare to .44 Magnum (~1.5KJ), and a SCHV rifle round (5.56 NATO, ~1.7KJ)...

And a slightly more sane set of options. 9mm (0.5KJ) and .22 LR (~0.2KJ)...

Or perhaps a more useful comparison, they used a gun that fires something with more than twice the mass of a typical 9mm (your average handgun), traveling 100m/s faster. What the hell guys.

e: And of course, I should mention the obvious. Don't ****ing shoot at anything you don't intend to destroy. This includes boyfriends and people in general.

I get that we're supposed to feel sorry for her, her kids and all. She was hesitant and he was insisting - all for fame on YouTube. But at no point did she have the wherewithal to say "no, I'm not going to shoot you point blank with the world's most powerful handgun while you hold up a book."

Maybe the kids are better off not being with someone who is that clueless.

LOL .... guess she didn't bother to look up what the penetrating power of a .50 cal is. .22 is a sure thing up to a .223, .9mm, .45 but .308 and higher will go the distance. .50 cal .... maybe if he stood behind the encyclopedia britannica shooting through each volume, closely packed ...... guess she didn't read that far! LOL

The irony here is they would have known the book wouldn't be enough if they looked for similar videos on - YouTube.

Tragic, but unless something that occurred that is not mentioned here I really don't see the need for punishment. Perhaps what they call in Canada a "Conditional Discharge"

It didn't have to penetrate to kill. We are talking about a foot/ton of force. Like being kicked in the chest straight-on by a Clydesdale or a Percheron both rear hooves - or having the front end of a Cadillac drop on him.

an offense that carries a maximum sentence of 10 years

I've been reading this for the last 2 days, and it was quoted that she is up to 20 years in prison for this.

I think that a real criminal act would be committed by anyone who suggests that a teenager, and now a single mother of 2 should go to prison for 20 years over this accident. This would be the most inhumane thing I've ever heard of. Surely she must be punished for this, but not like this. In the worst-case scenario, should be like - 5 years, eligible for parole after 2.

On the other side of the coin - what will a prison do to a pregnant teenager? It's horrifying.

She pointed a .50 hand cannon at a dude protected by a book and pulled the trigger because YouTube.

Un. Fit. For. Society.

The irony here is they would have known the book wouldn't be enough if they looked for similar videos on - YouTube.

Demolition Ranch, FPS Russia... there isn't a thing those guys haven't shot, burned, or blown up.

That said, the stunt was certainly successful. This story went viral.

What is it with Americans and their fascination with guns? And a Desert Eagle to boot... Although it's a tragic story, it's also just rank stupidity on both parties behalf. Lives changed and ruined irreparably just because of it.

Last edited:
"It was just a prank gone wrong. It shouldn’t have happened like this."

It appears the stunted way of thinking is a family trait. This was not a "prank" this was two imbiciles who never should have reproduced doing something that nobody with a working brain would EVER do. This is natural selection in action.

" It shouldn’t have happened at all" YOU DONT SAY.

Hopefully those kids get taken from the mother and put in better homes. Nobody who thinks that anything in this incident was a good idea is unfit to be a parent. This was a terrible idea, full stop. Never should have been attempted. If your boyfriend manages to convince you that shooting at him with a freaking desert eagle is a good idea, you should be questioning both your critical thinking skills and your choice of lovers.

Back