Price for retrieving data off dead hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hard drive bit the dust. They guy that looked at said that you can still have stuff taken off of it but it's quite pricey. Any idea how pricey it is? I would like some stuff that is on there. Going to get a new computer instead of replacing hard drive. Any suggestions on an affordable computer for some photo editing and some smaller gaming. I had a gateway. With the hard drive crashing I know for sure I'm getting an extra external hard drive. I learned my lesson.

Probably going to be a couple hundred dollars for them just to look at it, then probably another $600 to a few thousand for recovery. Depending on how dead it is you may be able to recover it yourself. Sometimes you can buy the same drive on ebay, and swap the circuit boards....

I don't have a suggestion for an affordable computer right now, but plenty of people here can give advice if you feel comfortable building your own. Will need a budget though before suggestions can be made.

Also, externals can fail too, so if you are getting one to back up onto that is a good idea, but its not a good idea if you are getting it to hold the only copy of your important files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back