Prices of high-end RTX 3000 cards keep falling

midian182

Staff member
In brief: In a somewhat ironic state of affairs, graphics cards that were once three times above MSRP are falling so fast they'll soon be given away free. While that's obviously an exaggeration, we are seeing prices drop by hundreds of dollars each week, and some cards come with the added incentive of free games.

We already knew that improved availability, much of which is due to people leaving the crypto mining business, is pushing down the prices of graphics cards—below MSRP, in some cases. Moreover, with the next generation of GPUs on their way and economic concerns making consumers wary of splashing out on big purchases, Nvidia is stuck with an excess of high-end cards. This has led to the launch of a "promotional pricing" offer for the RTX 3080 12GB and above, further lowering prices.

The situation has seen GPUs from retailers, as well as new graphics cards on eBay, getting cheaper. Newegg shows flagship RTX 3090 Ti models, which recently saw its Founders Edition reduced by $400, available from $1,400. The cheapest RTX 3090 model, meanwhile, is an Asus TUF going for $1,199

Also see: GPU Pricing July 2022: Nvidia Wants You to Buy These GPUs

Elsewhere, there's an RTX 3080 Ti Ventus that's $899 with the $30 rebate, while the RTX 3080 12GB, a card Nvidia is rumored to have killed off in order to shift more 10GB variants, is available for $769, but you'll only pay $739 after using the rebate. If that isn't enticing enough, both cards are part of Nvidia's latest GPU bundle.

Nvidia GPU Pricing Trends

Average Sale Price of eBay Completed Listings, New Products, 3rd Week of Month

Nvidia's bundle deal, which covers select models of the RTX 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090, and 3090 Ti, includes four games: Doom Eternal and both The Ancient Gods expansions, and Ghostwire: Tokyo. The Ancient Gods Part 1 and Part 2 don't require the Doom Eternal base title, so they're technically standalone games.

As Nvidia's promotion only applies to its higher-end cards, there aren't many discounts on mid-range RTX 3000 products, though you can still grab an RTX 3070 (MSI Ventus GeForce) for $524 on Amazon.

The dilemma facing most gamers now is whether to upgrade to a well-priced RTX 3000 series or wait and see what price vs. performance ratios the upcoming RTX 4000 cards offer.

Permalink to story.

Wait till 40-series releases and then choose best pound for pound card from either series that works for you. Only knock is the fact the 30-series will then be one notch lower on the totem pole for driver support. Happy hunting!

Wait till 40-series releases and then choose best pound for pound card from either series that works for you. Only knock is the fact the 30-series will then be one notch lower on the totem pole for driver support. Happy hunting!

This is all well and good if there is no problem with availability from day one and MSRP is stuck too.

..Meanwhile in the real world, Scalpers now know about GPU demand and the prices PC Gamers are willing to pay and whilst prices won't reach the absurd heights of the recent crypto boom, they will still go well above MSRP for the first 3-6mths of the 4xxx cards launching.

These cards aren't likely to be available freely to the masses until well into Q2 2023 or early Q3.

3080Ti is worth about $700 to me, lets get it down to that point.

I see one major problem with 'graphics cards dropping' in price when the 40 series is released. nVidia has seen what people are willing to pay and would happily increase their profit margins by reducing supply. I'm using their recent cancelation of orders from TSMC as evidence of this. The other problem is another GPU shortage could happen again at anytime. We are entering a recession, many people might find spending a few hundred dollars on a graphics card to stay at home more appealing then the $1000+ they might spend going out over the course of the year. I know I can easily spend $1000+ a month going out, so what's a graphics card? My vacation this year cost me ~$5800. Why not skip the vacation in a recession and do a base system rebuild for $2000 and pocket the money?

Here is my advice to anyone looking for a graphics card, buy when the price looks good to you, individually. There is no guarantee that prices will drop forever. I said I'd pull the trigger on 3080ti level of performance when it hits $700. And keep in mind, as time goes on all this hardware will eventually become worthless. There are people who sell their last gen hardware and upgrade, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I have a theory about the 40 series. Prices are dropping on the 30 series now because 1) no miners are buying and are even dumping used cards onto the market. 2) demand for cards has dropped as people are waiting for the 40 series. 3) 40 series will be manufactured in limited supply.

As happened with the 20 series, when the 30 series became unavailable people looked back and bought up the 20 series. When the limited number of 40 series cards sell out, people will look at the 30 series and buy those up causing the prices to increase. The cheapest we will see the 30 series cards is going to be the weeks leading up to the 40 series release. If a 3080ti doesn't hit $700 leading up to the launch of the 40 series I might buy if it's close or I might buy whatever is $700.

Last edited:
Under normal circumstances, even if the current cards provide a level of performance you're happy with it's recommended to wait since usually the new ones one tier below will match it in performance and offer some savings in power usage for example.

Not so anymore: it is looking like Love Lace will be even worst for power so you'll get no power savings there, maybe even a power increase even relative to a lower tier since we're talking the very top end cards and the power requirements seem insane.

Honestly I don't care how controversial this is but to me, this fact alone should translate into "Pull the trigger on Ampere" simply because it is very unlikely that

1) New cards will net you a lot of savings: inflation being what it is right now and the over saturation from mining cards (even if you don't buy a mining card, the fact they're on the market should drive price of brand new ones down too) means there's going to be minimal price-to-price performance advantages from say, holding off on a 3080 to get a 4070 which is the usual strategy.

2) New cards are not announced yet and it's almost guaranteed there will be at least some issues with launch supply. So most of you can forget about grabbing one in October anyway they'll slip into 2023. Over half a year is a really long time to be thinking "New cards are around the corner" specially if rumors turn out to be true and the only new card coming out initially is a 4090 at a ridiculous price and with a ridiculous power draw that for most might require a brand new PSU to avoid tripping power (Check the Gamers Nexus piece on PSUs it's already an issue with some PSUs specially SFX ones but with substantially more power draw it will be an issue for a hell of a lot more people)

3) This is probably more an appeal than actual advise but nevertheless, you shouldn't support this escalation of power requirements. It's just not sustainable and we shouldn't have to switch out a lot of hardware to accommodate ridiculous GPUs and CPUs.

Yes you might want the best of the best but it shouldn't take that much. Sorry but you will be fine playing 4k medium settings (Or DLSS/FSR) and 'only' getting 90-120fps on your games, nobody really needs anything above a 3080 imo and this is specially so if it needs a 1600watts PSU as we allow Nvidia and intel (Mostly) to take us back 15 years into the past instead of moving tech forward.

Consider powering up such massive systems off grid with nothing but solar panels and batteries just so you look at the enormous strain you're putting on the grid to game at this ridiculous levels: if we must use that much power we could at least run AC for like a medium sized house in the middle of historical heatwaves instead of 4k ultra settings 165hz.

Too little too late.
These prices are still to high for 2 year old technology. A recession is coming, that is a given. Hold onto your money your going to need it.

Nvidia and AMD will be fine, they made huge profits off these cards already.

Just ordered 6700XT. They are around 100€ less than 3070 here in Germany. And I get 3 free games with it. Finger was itching long enough, will itch no more.

As for 30 series prices going down - yes, for some crappy models and usually below 3070 range.

People can't say wait for next gen, then also openly question next gen availability and MSRP every chance they get.

People buy hardware every day. The majority are not waiting after having been waiting months for the prices to drop as they are.

Until the Intel cards are readily available in the marketplace, we've not seen the "bottom". The most important thing we need now is realistic MSRP's. AMD/Nvidia both MASSIVELY pumped them up the past 2 years. IMO there is no video card worth more than $1000, the mid-range should max out at $500 and the lowest tier should be <$250.

This is still ridiculous/hilarious. First, the the 3070ti is the only card that should be more than $500 based on MSRP. Second, the prices are falling like lead balloons. Just wait 2-4 weeks and they will all be less than original MSRP finally, and at that point we are just around the corner from the next gen soo....

Did I miss something ? Since when is an almost two year old arch selling above msrp ‚well priced‘ ?
Dont forget, that "MSRP" was already inflated from the get go, since nvidia knew their loyal drones would pay for it without complaining.

This is all well and good if there is no problem with availability from day one and MSRP is stuck too.

..Meanwhile in the real world, Scalpers now know about GPU demand and the prices PC Gamers are willing to pay and whilst prices won't reach the absurd heights of the recent crypto boom, they will still go well above MSRP for the first 3-6mths of the 4xxx cards launching.

These cards aren't likely to be available freely to the masses until well into Q2 2023 or early Q3.
Without the crazy crypto market I highly doubt they will be hard to come by....Nvidia has already tried to reduce the number of chips ordered due to low demand as well. I think this bodes well for the gamer

All these articles keep saying how 2 year old GPU tech that's finally selling at MSRP is a great deal. This is complete crap in my opinion. MSRP was already way inflated from the get go and now we're 2 years into that artificial shortage created by the crypto-garbage. I would not consider buying any of those cards until they're way, way, waaay below their inflated MSRP prices.

The only reason all these MSRP prices are still sky high is because nVidia and AMD both expected the crypto-BS to last forever and figured they could keep charging an arm and a leg forever. They can make these deals as attractive as they want, and they can try sneaky tactics like delaying next gen cards to try and cram the old cards down our throats, but it's not going to work. Well, it might work for some people I guess.

I wouldn't put it pass nvidia to withhold Lovelace production until they sold off their 30xx supplies.

Nvidia selling out to crypto liners since 2015.

No I wouldn't buy an Ampere or RDNA2 card unless it was half RRP. Why would buy say a 3080 12GB card for even $700 when an Lovelace 4070 or RDNA3 7700XT will kick the snot out of it for less money. I would only buy one for $350 tops.

Many had this plan last time between 20 series and 30 series and were extremely disappointing when not only couldn't they get a 30 series but now what's left of 20 series was extremely pricey vs where it was just a couple days before.

It's all a big gamble and ultimately the safe man buys now and sells if they realize that the upgrade is worth it right as soon as they secure a card.

Sure you MAY lose a little extra this way but you WON'T face anything like what many did over the last 2 years.

It all comes down to how lucky you think you are.

Can keep falling for all I care.
they burned their bridges for us gamers when they spat in our faces for better pastures.
So you've given up gaming?

OR

Are just just saying you want the new shiny around the corner?

Last edited:
Dont forget, that "MSRP" was already inflated from the get go, since nvidia knew their loyal drones would pay for it without complaining.
You act like amd did their fanboys any favors.... Smh stop with this tribalism bs.

They are companies they are DESIGNED to make money you need to learn the difference between your pal vs your supplier.

Speak with your wallet and stop being part of the propaganda machines for the s*it throwing these two get out of yall for free.

Without the crazy crypto market I highly doubt they will be hard to come by....Nvidia has already tried to reduce the number of chips ordered due to low demand as well. I think this bodes well for the gamer
Crypto was at a dip around 20 series launch and I saw months of those cards going for up 2x their msrp.

Maybe not YEARS but they'll definitely get bought up by scalpers no matter what and MANY will pay them (not just crypto bros either)

All these articles keep saying how 2 year old GPU tech that's finally selling at MSRP is a great deal. This is complete crap in my opinion. MSRP was already way inflated from the get go and now we're 2 years into that artificial shortage created by the crypto-garbage. I would not consider buying any of those cards until they're way, way, waaay below their inflated MSRP prices.

The only reason all these MSRP prices are still sky high is because nVidia and AMD both expected the crypto-BS to last forever and figured they could keep charging an arm and a leg forever. They can make these deals as attractive as they want, and they can try sneaky tactics like delaying next gen cards to try and cram the old cards down our throats, but it's not going to work. Well, it might work for some people I guess.

It will work... Maybe not for you... Maybe not for majority who may read a page like this.

But it will work for the majority and that's all they care about.

The market will always find its balance it only went where it did because of supply and demand and with supply and demand shall it come down until its back to equilibrium.

I don't hate on Nvidia or and for the past 2 years they are a business and they priced their stuff according to what people were willing to pay.

They aren't your friend anymore than you are theirs.

Buy when you need at the price you feel comfortable with and move on.

Nothing else to to be done.

They made a ton of money when the market was high and now they have to eat the reduction in demand and over spend on supply. So again it will balance out.

You may be salty but the market chugs on as it should.

Did neo's get deleted for calling a spade a spade?

Yet at the same time while amd cards are better priced and offer better performance...

Offer better performance (in your particular choice of titles settings and resolutions)...

There fixed that for you.

But for real let's not pretend like Nvidia isn't actually ahead in many ways at the higher end of the spectrum while amd does offer good value in the lower resolution scenarios but even today DF and many other have objective testing that shows things like DLSS 2.X is superior to the recently released FSR 2.0

Im no fanboy and have had both amd and Nvidia gpu's as well as Intel and ryzen cpus in my systems over the last few years at different times.

But where you call amd superior you ignore the full picture and only speak to your particular use cases vs overall and where leading next gen tech features, resolutions, etc is considered.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't buy an Ampere or RDNA2 card unless it was half RRP. Why would buy say a 3080 12GB card for even $700 when an Lovelace 4070 or RDNA3 7700XT will kick the snot out of it for less money. I would only buy one for $350 tops.

Plenty of people thought the same about a 2080 and a 2070 or any other example from that time frame and guess what? Almost ALL of them either paid out the nose for the extra performance paid more than they would have quite a bit for the previous gen tech or they waited upwards of 2 years for things to become "normal" again.

To each their own but a smart man plays his cards right and makes sure he's not forced into any of the above scenarios.

Get a card as close to before the launch of next gen compare and see if you can land a next gen card that "beats the snot" out of your current one.

If so... Return old card if you still can OR sell it and likley get majority if not all of what spent on it back (especially if supply becomes a nightmare again) and if you fail to get a next gen card guess what?

You still have a really good card at a relatively decent price.

You act like amd did their fanboys any favors.... Smh stop with this tribalism bs.
They can't be reasoned with, but don't worry, just enjoy living rent free in their minds for the saltiest of reasons. Heaven forbid consumers make choices that aren't guided by their bias.

Back