Problem accessing XP Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

A friend of mine has managed to "lock himself out" of the original Administrator account of his own XP Pro machine.

Story: He decided to password his machine, but rather than password the original Administrator login he had been using, he opted to create a new user, also titled Administrator with his new password. Now he cannot get back into the original Administrator account, so cannot access his documents etc etc. When he boots up in Safe Mode, he can see the original account, but on logging in normally he cannot access this account. It does not show up on the Welcome Screen.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Cheers chaps!

on boot to xp welcome it only shows the one account??
something I did not notice check this out
from msn if you create a account with admin privledges the original admin account will not show up on welcome screen???
in safe mode do this ,remember back up all reg files
Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList \
Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
Name the new value Administrator
Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as its Value data
Close the registry editor
now I did not do this when I setup 2 accounts,because the 2nd account was made first as a user then I upgraded to admin or try below may be easyer
2nd user is also admin he can certainly take ownership
or better yet should be able to go into the system user accounts and delete the password and make new one

right click on my computer icon
-->properties---> advanced--->user profiles
all should be here
Microsoft Management Console can be a little tricky

@ Iron Duke: Not from what he tells me. If all else fails, I might go up and see what I can do.

Thanks chaps, I shall give your suggestions a go.

I really appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back