Problem with brand new build

FeLoNiouS

Hey guys, having a weird issue with a new gaming PC that I just built. I've asked around and even taken it to a local PC shop to be looked at. So far nobody has been able to identify the problem.

So the PC basic specs are I9 10900K, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI) LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GVKC, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3, 220-G3-0850-X1, 80+ GOLD, 850W Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode with New HDB Fan, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply. Unfortunately, like most gamers I haven't been able to get a newer video card, so stuck with a MSI 2600 for now. Using Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2, QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1 for my M.2.

The problem.... The computer is freezing after a while in use, ballpark hour'ish. All temps are in 28-32c range except video card which runs pretty constant 60 degrees while gaming. When the computer "freezes", it still allows me to move the mouse around. No blue screens. When I hover the mouse over an icon, the icon "pop up" will come up but clicking on any option does nothing. After a minute or so tho, the pop up ability goes away and it's basically full on lockup at that point. Computer has to be manually restarted by holding power button, nothing else with do anything. Another somewhat odd point is the game I'm playing will sometimes vanish. After so many crashes, it will actually erase the whole game save. The game is on Steam, so if I'm playing game file #4, it will erase #4 but all the other saves will remain. The sleep function for hard drive and such is set to "never". Routine now is basically play for 45ish mins, save, exit Steam and turn off computer. I can then turn it right back on and play another 45 mins.

I did buy a new M.2 with a heat sink to see if maybe it was getting hot, but the motherboard won't allow that large of M.2 to fit. I did move the M.2 to a different spot as motherboard has 3 locations that can be used. Using "SpeedFan" and MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and have that up on second monitor so I can see if there was an increase or spike to cause the lock up which there hasn't been.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's probably going to be that video card...it's pretty old and they do wear out. I'm not sure which card is your dream card but you should be able to snag a MSi GTX 1650 Gaming X or any GTX 1660 (ideally super), just to fill the hole until this mess settles down.

The card itself is brand new. I bought it just so the system will work. Probably going with a 3080 or 6900 when they're available for purchase from retailers rather than scalpers. I mis-typed the card number, it's a 2060.

Is it this older card? Do I have it right?

Oh wow. so it's not going to be the RTX 2060. I assume you did chipset and then Nvidia graphics drivers. The fact that you can play about 45mins suggests heat issues or power issues. Something is getting hot and then causing trouble. The fact that you can shut it off and then restart and then you get another 45 min out of it has me scratching my head for sure.

Yeh, heat is what I figured. What is really weird is....if I do a restart before the crash, I can play all day non stop without ever turning the cpu, just restarts. I just got to make sure that I keep restarting it every 45 mins or so before it crashes. Well, even if it crashes I can hold power button to make it shut off, then just turn it back on and play another 45 mins or so. It's just super annoying to have to keep restarting and even more annoying is if I don't restart in time and it crashes, I risk losing the whole saved game (which could be dozens and dozens of hours played).

Losing the saved game progress on that game session is one thing, but every once in a while it will erase that whole game file. This is what made me think it was possibly the M.2

Looking at Asus' memory QVL, it's clear that they haven't tested that particular make and model of DDR4-3600. They have tested others, though, and for all of the DDR4-3600 2x8 GB kits examined, the lowest CAS latencies supported are 17 with Micron chips, 14 with Samsung (probably B-die), and 18 with SK Hynix.

Your G.Skill DIMMs use a CAS latency of 16 in their XMP profile, so you could try running the system with the RAM not set to its XMP profile (I.e. the default clock and timings) to see if you don't experience the same issues.

If you don't, then the root cause of your profile is RAM stability with that particular combination of CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

Looking at Asus' memory QVL, it's clear that they haven't tested that particular make and model of DDR4-3600. They have tested others, though, and for all of the DDR4-3600 2x8 GB kits examined, the lowest CAS latencies supported are 17 with Micron chips, 14 with Samsung (probably B-die), and 18 with SK Hynix.

Your G.Skill DIMMs use a CAS latency of 16 in their XMP profile, so you could try running the system with the RAM not set to its XMP profile (I.e. the default clock and timings) to see if you don't experience the same issues.

If you don't, then the root cause of your profile is RAM stability with that particular combination of CPU, motherboard, and RAM.
Most of that is over my head, certainly including the changing of the default clock speeds. I'm wondering if simply purchasing different RAM might be easier. Is this the type of thing you're talking about with the speeds and timings?

That particular kit hasn't been tested by Asus, but the timings and clock speed indicate that it should work. However, it is only a 16 GB, so you'd lose half your current RAM capacity (which actually would help make the whole system more stable).

If you're not worried having fancy lighting on the RAM, then the following from Team has been tested by Asus and verified to run at 3600:

That particular kit hasn't been tested by Asus, but the timings and clock speed indicate that it should work. However, it is only a 16 GB, so you'd lose half your current RAM capacity (which actually would help make the whole system more stable).

If you're not worried having fancy lighting on the RAM, then the following from Team has been tested by Asus and verified to run at 3600:

ok, thx much. Btw, here is two pics I had to take with my phone on my last freeze up. The numbers on the GPU MHz are way off, but that might be as a result of the crash, rather than the cause. Normally it's 1950 but in pic it's 300/405.

Attachments

• processed.jpeg
    processed.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 1
  • processed (1).jpeg
    processed (1).jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 1

Reporting back that I did indeed purchase that exact RAM from T-force. I installed it 3 days ago and the computer has not crashed since. It seemed weird that I built such a powerful computer, yet the RAM was too fast for it, but that does appear to have been the case. Thanks much!

Back