Problem with devenum.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayak

Hi guys,
I've got a problem with my devenum.dll. Whenever I use my Windows Live Messenger, either signing in, or getting a message from someone, or when I plug something into my USB, a window pops up that says "C:\Windows\system32\devenum.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." It still lets me run the programs, but it's EXTREMELY annoying! It could pop up at some random times too.
I have tried to replace the .dll file, but the system won't allow me to delete, or even move the original devenum.dll from the system32 folder. I've tried to gain full access of the file, but it says acces is denied (even after I turned off the UAC in control panel), I've ran the SFC, but it just said it could't fix the problem. Can anyone suggest a solution to this?
I'm running Windows Vista by the way.
I've just uninstalled and re-installed Windows Live Messenger (thought I'd give it a shot), but things remained the same.
This started happening a couple of months ago, at the same time I lost the ability to import any audio/video files into my Windows Movie Maker (not sure if the two are related, but still). I think it was one of those darn updates... not the first time they screw up my system... somehow :S.

Thanks a million in advance! :)

LookinAround,
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I checked out the link you provided, and followed the instructions on the site, but it still didn't help :(.

Rats! sorry :(

as to trying to replace the file, you might try booting into safe mode. It may be denying access because during normal startup the file is in use.

It's one really pesky .dll lol
I've tried the Safe mode, tried command prompt too, still says the same thing "Access is denied".
I found out that devenum.dll is a file from DirectShow, so I downloaded DirectX SDK and Windows SDK, but didn't find devenum.dll in any of them! And updating DirectX didn't help either :(... I guess I'll just have to live with this corrupt .dll on my hands.
Thanks for the help though! :)

Rats (again!)

One last thing... I also noticed devenum.dll listed among Windows Media Player components
> You might want to note which version of the file you are currently running
....> Rt click the file and look for the version number
> Do you have all Windows updates installed? Are you running Vista SP2?
> You might try uninstalling Windows Media Player. Reboot. Retest
> If still not work, reinstall the latest Windows Media Player. Reboot. Retest

I've tried looking for the version, but next to where it should say the version, it's a blank space.
I have all Windows updates, this problem started happening back in August, I believe, and after that I was still getting updates. I'm not sure if I am running SP2 though, if it was included in one of the updates, then yes, but I haven't downloaded it separately.
I've checked into uninstalling WMP, but I keep reading that it's impossible to uninstall it from Vista, or XP, and only possible to uninstall updates (not sure how to do that though). WMP does not appear in the Remove program's list in control panel. But I do have the latest wersion of WMP, with all its updates.

Click Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> System Tools –> System Information to see what SP level of Vista you have installed

Also, maybe coincidence or not, but i also notice a DirectX update from MS was released in August, 2009. Wonder if that's somehow related to your problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back