Problem with my PC (buzzing, slow, switching off, etc.)

Hi all,

my PC recently starting making a type of high buzzing sound (buzzing is the best word I can think of to describe it). It makes this sound whenever I do anything, literally ANYTHING, like switching it on, logging in, loading a broswer page/video, even scrolling up and down with my mouse.

The reason I'm worried about this is because whenever I do something that is tasking for the PC (like loading a 10 - 20 minute video) the buzzing noise raises, as if it's struggling to load it, then the computer itself completely switches off.. it doesn't prompt me with anything or show me the shut down screen, it just instantly switches off and the only way I can boot it back up is if I unplug the power lead from the plug in the wall rather than the back of the computer, leave it for maybe 30 seconds, then plug it back in. It allows me to switch it back on then, but the buzzing noise persists and obviously at one point it will shut off again when I'm doing/watching something.

I have some knowledge of computer hardware, what goes where and the like, but some of the small fixed in stuff is algebra to me. I've opened the computer and done some trail and error.. everything was cleaned, all the fans are working fine, nothing is loose and everything looked to be as it should be. so while I was simply listening for were the problem would be while the computer tower was open, I'm 90% sure it's coming from the power supply area. The cables in the computer are fine and it seems that the noise is coming from the centre of the supply box..

I don't know if it will help but here is a picture of were the sound is coming from;

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/Mistanuu/Untitled.png

while it was open and switched on, nothing was rattling about or vibrating from what I could see and feel, it just creates the high buzzing/bleeping noise. If it comes down to me having to buy a new power supply or anything of the like, I want to be completely sure I have to if need be.

I'd really appreciate any input you guys have and any help or solution to the problem would be brilliant, cheers.

Yes, I'm afraid you need a new power supply
Hey magic, thanks a bunch for giving a good simple answer, I was dreading I'd have to read through a page worth of solutions
:D(y)

are power supplies specific to PC at all?
should I search online for one similar to my old one, or maybe seach for a more powerful one?

What is the make and model of this PC? You should be able to use any ATX power supply rated at 400 watts or better

Back