Problem with PSU

jo233

Hi,

The PSU on my desktop seems to have stopped working. The green light on the back just blinks instead of being static.

This has happened a few times over the last couple years however I've been able to get it working again but this time I can't seem to. Also before it stopped working I would find the PC shutting itself off randomly when using the PC - perhaps a sign the PSU was going/overheating.

I guess this means I need a new PSU. Any help/advice on this issue would be great as well as whether it's possible to replace it on my own. I had been looking at these few:
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 Fixed ATX (£37)
CORSAIR CX600 Fixed ATX (£50)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 Fixed ATX (£48)
Evo Labs 500W (£25)

Main details of my PC:

- Compaq PSR1360
-Windows XP 32, Intel Pentium 4 540 3.20GHz
- Current PSU is a Bestac (atx 300 12z) 300W MAX
- Nvidia GeForce GT 630 Graphics Card 1GB
- 4Gb RAM
- ASUSTeK Computer inc motherboard/PufferM

I personally have the CX600, and it is serving me well. Looking at your system the CX430 will be plenty of power.

Although with a system as old as the P4 system, those motherboards have a common issue with swelling capacitors that can cause these types of issues.

I personally have the CX600, and it is serving me well. Looking at your system the CX430 will be plenty of power.

Although with a system as old as the P4 system, those motherboards have a common issue with swelling capacitors that can cause these types of issues.
Thanks for your reply.

I was debating between the CX500 & the CX430 but with the latter £11 less and you saying it will be fine perhaps I should get that then.

What can cause the capacitors to swell?

I read somewhere that
Unless you needed the extra power, absolutely nothing.
I read somewhere that the Builder Series isn't good for gaming, whilst another review states "In general, this power supply is ideal for work computers, basic workstations and gaming system (sample builds) on a tight budget."

I'll mainly be using the PC for basic things with the occasional game. Here is one game for example I'd be using: http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/richard-burns-rally

Would the CX430 be fine for the occasional game?

The power supply either works or it doesn't. As far as a power supply, there is no difference between gaming or workstation. Either one will be effected by the quality of power supply. Some people have a negative view point for the Corsair CX series. That is fine by me because I know the CX series is far better than many other brands. As long as I'm not buying the lowest quality, I'm happy. To be honest I don't see the appeal in spending twice the price for the highest quality.

This is my system and I do use it for gaming.
  • Corsair CX600
  • Intel i7-2600K
  • G.Skill 8GB DDR3
  • MSI GTX 660
  • Samsung Evo 120GB SSD
The 600W is 150W over specification for a single GTX 660. The 430W would have likely been fine, but I wanted to keep my options open since I have a second PCIe slot that would carry a second GPU.

Back