Problem with sub woofer / surround sound

Hello,

I have a really old amp with a subwoofer connected, + 4 other speakers, which I use connected to my laptop setup. The sound was getting glitchy so I took it apart, found it was REALLY dusty inside and had a loose board (this thing is 30+ years old I think). I gave it a quick dust over and pushed the board back in place. Everything seems okay now... only I've created a new problem and I have NO IDEA what's causing it.

The sub now is really quiet when playing as normal with the Balance centred. When I move the balance either left or right the sub becomes loud again. I've tried switching off the balance and playing direct - didn't help. Tried switching all my speakers in to different ports to see if there was any problem there - didn't help. The only remedy is turning the bass right up and keeping the balance centred, which isn't ideal as this makes the other speakers rattle.

The amp is a Sansui AU-X111.

Bit of a strange problem I know, but if anyone has experienced this before I would love to know how you sorted it.

Thanks,
James

The balance control is burned-out at the center position -- it's old, has set there forever and as BASS is high current, it's now gone! You apparently have the skill, so find the impedance and power rating and replace it :)

The balance control is burned-out at the center position -- it's old, has set there forever and as BASS is high current, it's now gone! You apparently have the skill, so find the impedance and power rating and replace it :)

Hello,

Appreciate the reply. It magically started working again! But I'm guessing it's on its last legs and will probably break again. Thanks for the info ?

Back