Problems: Add/Remove Progs; Can't print emails; IE6 doesn't work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!

1. Nortons Av ran out -- I uninstalled and tried Avast Pro demo
2. I can't print emails, and when I try Windows Update IE6 goes through the motions, but returns a blank page.
3. I talk in Avast Forum. They say Nortons needs an extra program to completely remove it.
4. I get it, run it -- no good.
5. Then they say to compeltely remove Avast I need an extra program.
6. I get it, run it -- but no good.
7. I run RegSupreme, RegClean and RegCleaner.
8. I run Nortins System Utilities from a CD
I give up.
1. I can't print any email (now I copy and laste, drop it into Word, print.
2. Many URLs, including MS Windows Update, act like they're loading, but return a blank page. To handle that, I install Firefox, but I still can't update Windows
3. My Add/Remove Programs screen is BLANK, with a single line of 8 point Times type at the top containing all the menu option which normally should be there. I have no idea how to even try to fix this one!
NOTE: I did this ALL on another computer (Win98SE) and the SAME IDENTICAL THING HAPPENED.
Over to you,
Cheers
John

Welcome to TechSpot

Check your Internet settings and the Proxy-settings especially.
When NAV expires, all you need to do is uninstall / reinstall + update and you have another year for free.

Make sure all remnants of both NAV and Avast (never heard of it) are gone before you (re-)install. NAV is a pig to remove, just one pspecial program does not do it. There are about 5-7 web-pages full of instructions at Symantec on how to remove specific versions.

If you want to change AV, go for McAfee, Kaspersky or F-Secure, no more Norton/Symantec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back