Processor speed lower than it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragwin

i just put in a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU Barton 512K 333FSB Socket A 462 into my system but on the startup page it says its running on 1100+ and had something saying i cud change the cpu speed by going into bios settings but i have no idea how to do it.

any ideas?

If you know what model your motherboard is, please post it here.

Otherwise, download CPU-Z from here.

Click on the Mainboard tab.

Post here whatever it says in that section.

Regards :)

I've have my barton 2500+ running at 3.2GHz since day one 2 yearsago. Still runing fine now. I just upped the multiplier and fsb in the bios.

From memory, the 2500 Barton ran at 1840MHz stock.

As long as you have DDR400 (PC3200) RAM, try upping the FSB to 200.

99% of 2500's will operate at that speed - basically it's a 3200+ now.

To keep at std speed, the FSB should be at 166MHz.

You could also try seeing if your BIOS has "Load Optimised Defaults". That should hopefully recognise & set the speeds to standard.

cragwin said:
i just put in a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU Barton 512K 333FSB Socket A 462 into my system but on the startup page it says its running on 1100+
it sounds like you have an Althon XP-M, not just a plain Athlon XP.

the XP-M was a mobile version (for laptops), it's multipliers were unlocked. often times when installed in a desktop computer/motherboard it will default to the lowest multiplier (in your case, resulting in the CPU being recognized as an 1100+

if your motherboard allows CPU multiplier adjustment then it's an easy fix, but not all motherboards support overclocking. what model motherboard do you have?

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back