Processor upgrade, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlethumper

Just wondering if its possible to upgrade my processor? Had Intel Pentium dual core and if it can, can u give me any idea which one and with a higher GHz in it pls?

in short, no, its a laptop
That's not necessarily true, but the fact Littlethumper is asking if it is possible is a good indicator that it is probably something they will not want to do.

Not only will you have to completely disassemble your laptop, but you'll need to spend quite a bit of money on a CPU upgrade (If it is even removable). IMO, isn't worth the investment of time and money, especially for a budget laptop.

Then, you have to worry about hardware and BIOS support for a new CPU (what CPU core revisions will work in your A205-S5803?), increased heat (will you need to also replace the entire cooling assembly? If so, with what?) and such...

Theoretically -- if your CPU is removable -- you should be able to run a Core 2 Duo because the socket is the same (Socket P). However, you need more information on what you can put it in it and how you can get it work. You probably won't find that information here because that information will either come from the manufacturer or from the experience of someone else who has tried. :-(

I had a satelite notebook, they wanted 700usd to replace/upgrade the cpu. Way too much to even consider it viable, but yes Rick you're right.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer, they'll be able to give you an idea of what can be done, what else will need doing as well, and how much it'll cost. Hopefully.

It can be done, not to scare you off but it is a lot more complex than Ram...

First you need to go to the laptop manufacturers site, best to do a scan to find the exact model you have if it's supported. Download and run the BIOS flashing software. - Just to cover the support aspect...Otherwise, best case scenario the laptop will show 'Unknown processor Dual whatever', worst case your machine won't boot.

The entire laptop is to be stripped (except obviously, the screen), pull the CPU out, put the new one in, I would recommend some thermal paste on the visible side of the CPU. Then replace everything.

From there, if it runs you'll probably want to run a CPU stability test for a few hours and maybe a benchmark application (Example: 3dMark) to make sure everything is running smoothly.

The best bet is to run CPU-z or EVEREST and google your laptop / motherboard. There are sites that detail what hardware is compatible with whatever machine.

There is a lot of hassle involved, but if you feel it's worth it, then it can be done! Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back