Program Files (x86)

Hikermann

PC / Windows 7: in C:\ there is 1) Program Files and 2) Program Files (x86); why the two and what is the difference; should/could one or the other be deleted? Thank you.

[edited] content removed [/edited]

Frequently you will find the same application in both locations, which says it can run in either mode.

You need BOTH

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Program Files -- this is where your 32bit applications are located since even before Win/XP

2) Program Files (x86) while this is the location for the 64bit applications.

Frequently you will find the same application in both locations, which says it can run in either mode.

You need BOTH
Sorry. That's incorrect.

When running 32-bit Windows, there's only a Program Files directory. And yes, that's where all your 32 applications are located.

However, when running 64-bit Windows
  • Program Files contains your 64-bit applications
  • Program Files (x86) contains your 32-bit applications
In any case definitely agree you need both. DO NOT DELETE

Sorry. That's incorrect.

When running 32-bit Windows, there's only a Program Files directory. And yes, that's where all your 32 applications are located.

Given that the Program Files (x86) directory exists, we know the system is running 64bit :grin:

Yes. Of course. So what?

1) Program Files -- this is where your 32bit applications are located since even before Win/XP

2) Program Files (x86) while this is the location for the 64bit applications.
You seem to have missed or side stepped the heart of my post. The reader should understand Program Files (x86) contains 32-bit apps NOT 64-bit apps as was previously stated

/* EDIT */
And also, Program Files aren't always 32-bit. It contains 64-bit apps when running 64-bit Windows. Me thinks you got it reversed

Indeed, I crossed my hands (memory)on the subject:
in summary, on a 32-bit version of Windows, you just have a “C:\Program Files” folder. This contains all your installed programs, all of which are 32-bit.

On a 64-bit version of Windows, 64-bit programs are stored in the “C:\Program Files” folder and 32-bit programs are stored in the “C:\Program Files (x86)” folder.

That’s why different programs are spread across the two Program Files folders, seemingly at random. The ones in the “C:\Program Files” folder are 64-bit, while the ones in the “C:\Program Files (x86)” folder are 32-bit.​

Sorry for the confusion :sigh:

The main reason for having 'em both is backward compatibility. The next two decades you probably won't get rid of it.

Back