Project Cars 1 and 2 receive deep discounts before leaving digital store shelves this fall

Daniel Sims

Staff
Bottom line: People shouldn't be surprised when a company delists sports or racing games that contain licensed content, especially if sequels to those games remain on the market. In this case, however, the follow-up is less popular with fans. There are currently multiple ways to cheaply try Project Cars and Project Cars 2 while they're still available.

On Monday, developer Slightly Mad Studios revealed that it would remove Project Cars and Project Cars 2 from digital storefronts this fall due to expiring car and track licenses. It will first delist the second game on September 21, then the original on October 3. After the removal, players who own either racing simulator will keep all content and functionality, including multiplayer, for the foreseeable future.

Likely due to the impending removal, both games are currently available at sizeable discounts on PC. The original 2015 game is 70 percent off at just $4.49 on Steam. A Steam code for the 2017 sequel is 93 percent off on both the Deluxe and Standard editions at Green Man Gaming for $6.34 and $4.22, respectively. The digital PlayStation version of the first title is also 60 percent off at $5.99, but there are currently no discounts for either game on Xbox.

Players who still aren't sure about spending under $10 combined for both games can try them in a couple of other ways. Project Cars 1 comes with EA Play on PlayStation and Steam but doesn't appear in the subscription's Xbox selection or on EA's website despite EA owning Slightly Mad Studios. Project Cars 2 has a free demo on Steam.

After early October, only Project Cars 3 will be available digitally (physical console editions of all three games still exist), but that 2020 release got a colder reception from fans than its predecessors. Its Steam Page currently shows a "Mixed" user review rating while the other two carry "Mostly Positive" or "Very Positive" ratings. The third title also has metascores in the 70s, while the first two sit in the 80s. Critics mainly took issue with Project Cars 3's severe difficulty and grindy career mode.

"Impossible to recommend to fans of Project CARS 2," said IGN's review. "Project CARS 3 is a total 180 for the series."

In 2019, Codemasters purchased Project Cars developer Slightly Mad Studios for $30 million. Just a year later, EA bought Codemasters for $1.2 billion, giving the publisher a large stable of racing games that includes Project Cars, GRID, Need for Speed, F1, Need for Speed, and Burnout.

Permalink to story.

Project Cars 1, even today, is a visual monster, More so than PC2 & 3 as the devs severely dialed down the graphical fidelity to get the game running better on less powerful GPU's & CPU's.

My 9900K & RTX 3080 can just, and only just, maintain 60fps @ 4K most of the time with everything cranked up to the max.

..however, get the right number of opponents on screen at any one time in wet weather and the framerate will still plummet into the 40's.

I regretted buying both of those games and I got one on Humble Bundle and the other one I got from a cheap key.

I regretted buying both of those games and I got one on Humble Bundle and the other one I got from a cheap key.
Never played them - but I assumed well like by people with racing setups - think they mod their cars and all that .

imagine casual and controller a bit lame

Project Cars 1, even today, is a visual monster, More so than PC2 & 3 as the devs severely dialed down the graphical fidelity to get the game running better on less powerful GPU's & CPU's.

My 9900K & RTX 3080 can just, and only just, maintain 60fps @ 4K most of the time with everything cranked up to the max.

..however, get the right number of opponents on screen at any one time in wet weather and the framerate will still plummet into the 40's.

the first pcars definitely got better graphics than the 2nd one. even on 1080p resolution I can tell that the dashboard was less detailed on the pcars2, especially on the top dashboard where you can see the reflection from the windshield. the original game is amazing for its time, had a blast playing it with g27 wheel

Back