'Prospekt' is the fan-made Half-Life sequel approved by Valve

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Half-Life 3 has yet to make a blip on the radar (and may very well never come to fruition). In its absence, die-hard followers have had to rely on fan-made mods and remakes for their fix. A new game called Prospekt fits squarely into this category albeit with one key difference: it has Valve's blessing.

Prospekt, created entirely by 25-year-old developer Richard Seabrook, is a sequel / expansion pack to Half-Life: Opposing Force (itself an expansion pack for the original Half-Life). The game picks up the story of U.S. Marine Adrian Shephard and is set in the Nova Prospekt prison as the events of Half-Life 2 unfold.

Seabrook originally created the game as a technical demo (job application) for Valve but it has since evolved into a full-on game. He says the title offers a substantial, highly polished and totally new addition to the Half-Life 2 universe. There will be 13 new levels to explore with fully-scripted puzzles and action sequences.

While it is a standalone game, it's obviously geared towards fans of the franchise that have played the original expansion. It must be pretty good as Valve has officially approved it to use the Half-Life 2 license and assets.

Those interested in giving Prospekt a try can pre-purchase it over on Stream. It's currently priced at $8.99 (10 percent off) and is slated to launch on February 11.

Permalink to story.

Half Life 3 will happen, it's just a matter of time.
It will eventually fall into the hands of creators/employees who want it done and have the power.
Question is, how long will that take.
Could be a few more decades of Valve retiring old hats before it does.
I might be in my 60's before I play HL3!

Half Life 3 will happen, it's just a matter of time.
It will eventually fall into the hands of creators/employees who want it done and have the power.
Question is, how long will that take.
Could be a few more decades of Valve retiring old hats before it does.
I might be in my 60's before I play HL3!

Pipe dream much? But seriously, if it did happen now I would be afraid of how it will unfold, the man behind the dream has left meaning it will be a money grab if it ever came to fruition. This could very well be why it never happened, it was never financially necessary to release the final chapter, Steam took off and Gabe never looked back.

Back to topic, this looks rather intriguing, I like what fans have been doing with the Half Life universe, they've been far more involved in the series than Valve. Too bad I can't find the time to enjoy them, I'm still trying to get through the Half Life 2: Update that came out a while back.

Grats to the guy that managed to do this. I may give it a whirl.

While I do like the whole half life / portal world that was created, I prefer portal. Maybe because it was newer. And there's the whole 1940's ooh where did it all start. I wanna see a proper prequel to Portal. When people would jump, and the socks failed.

Half life 3 can go suck an egg ! ... come get me!

LOL - Make up your mind, which is it "Whole" or "Half"?
Yeah yeah, I know don't quit my day job. :)

Cheeky monkeh! Well maybe it is just half, half life, half assed, where's the love for the fans who want to see the next chapters. But saying that,
I played L4D and L4D2, a lot. I would love a L4D3, but, whilst a new chapter would be welcomed, I would not want it on the same engine, I would not want it to feel like the same game, I would want community maps to be built, and maybe have Valve actually somehow pick the best and incorporate them into the game. I want, something, bigger, better and shiny new, not, a 3rd installment that screams "clone".

Half Life 2, EP1, EP2. 3 chapters already. Wouldn't you want to hold out for something amazing? They have sat on their laurels a while, they should have done HL1 CrysisGfxCardMeltingEdition by now. While the fans wait.

Back