PSU 230v/115v -- did I destroy anything?

anttg408

This story is super long. So I go in to clean my comp and I have been noticing that my startup has been pretty slow lately. So I cleaned out everything and decided to switch my RAM to different slots. Once I did all this I turned on my comp and my monitor failed to respond. So I put my RAM on their original spots and this time it decided to respond but I also noticed that my heat/cooling fan fell off. I then tried to turn the computer on. But I switched the volt button to 230 while it was off and it responded but my comp instantly turned off. I then found out that I basically destroyed my PSU. I went to the store and got thermal paste and a new PSU and pasted down my fan and installed my new PSU. What I failed to check is to see is if the switch was on 115v or 230v. The switch was towards 230v showing 115v. Did I destroy my PSU again? Also my RAM isn't the problem because I tested it. So when I turned my computer on the same thing happened as the one I previously ruined. Would I need to buy another PSU?
If so on the voltage switch which voltage option is being selected? If the switch to towards 230v and showing 115v or is it the opposite? I know it sounds dumb but I'm that cautious now!

Oh and I also tested my Motherboard so that also isn't the problem.

If you're lucky, you just fried the PSU and the PSU had a fuse to save the rest of your system. Replace the PSU and test everything!

You should be able to switch the voltage selector back and be fine. It's not like you overvolted anything.

The 120 / 230 feature is called Universal Power. If you're location is 120 (like North America) and the switch is in the 230 position,
then basically the PSU is running low voltage and there's no damage. Just UNPLUG and then reset to 120 and startup again.

The reverse is where you cook your goose: Power is 230 (eg Europe) and the switch is in 120 - - you fry it the moment it turns on.
As mentioned above, a GOOD PSU should be protected and only need a new fuse, but that is dependent upon the brand of the PSU.

Back