PSU and Intermittent Shutdowns/Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 500W ATX PSU with a P4 630 Processor and Gigabyte 945G Pro motherboard. I also have a SATA hard drive. When I turn on my computer for the first time, after several minutes, my computer shuts down and then restarts. After this, it works normally. This happens every day. I have run memory diagnostics and my RAM is working normally. My CPU Fan and all chasis fans are also working, so I know that overheating is not the problem. I also have updated to the latest BIOS just to be sure. The only thing left that may be causing this is the PSU.

My question is can the PSU cause these intermittent shutdowns?, or is there something else I have overlooked? Thanks.

How do know it's not a temperature issue? Have you measured the temp with an application like Everest Home Edition? Just because the fan spins doesn't ensure it's cooling properly.

Also it can a PSU problem, anything elec. can suddenly fail. You can turn off auto restart in the My computer/right click select properties/advanced Tab/start-up and Recovery settings. in system failure uncheck automatic restart and select write system dump file.
Edit: This will allow you to see the BSOD as well and you can write down the stop code and post it here.

Hello and welcome to TS. :wave:

Cheers.

kirock said:
How do know it's not a temperature issue? Have you measured the temp with an application like Everest Home Edition? Just because the fan spins doesn't ensure it's cooling properly.

Also it can a PSU problem, anything elec. can suddenly fail. You can turn off auto restart in the My computer/right click select properties/advanced Tab/start-up and Recovery settings. in system failure uncheck automatic restart and select write system dump file.
Edit: This will allow you to see the BSOD as well and you can write down the stop code and post it here.

My motherboard came with a Windows utility which includes a feature to monitor CPU temperature. I usually get a reading of 37 degrees Celsius after several minutes of operation. I set my BIOS to alarm after CPU passes 60 degrees celsius and if fans fail. I also had auto restart disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back