PSU for AMD 64 x2 4400+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnR

Ordered my new CPU + Mobo yesterday, now in the process of getting the other bits, I would like a silent, mayb with a blue LED or something, what can you recommend??

is your mobo a sli? if so get at least 600w power supply and I would definatly get geforce 7800 gt or gtx for your GPU and definaly go with corsair xms 2-2-2-5 latency ram at least 1.5 gig preferably 2 gig if you plan on playin BF2,Quake 4, HL2, Doom 3 and so on especially these games if you play on ultra quality they use 512 ram just for added textuing alone so 2 gigs is a must for smooth gameplay on highest graffix settings.

here is my setup:

Fatality a8n sli
amd 4000+ 1 meg cache
2 gig xms corsair 2-2-2-5 latency
2 bfg geforce 7800 gt oc
600w power supply
maddog cd+dvd burner
HD WD sata 120gb 8meg cache
xp pro sp2

hopefully this is helpfull to you and anymore questions feel free to ask!

Craig

You do not need a 600w PSU, that's way too much. Look for a very good & reputed brand. Something along the lines of 400w should do. Look at the different ratings for the voltage lines & that's one area where bigger is better, not overall wattage.

The mobo is an ASUS a8n deluxe. I cant really afford the 7800 gtx right now so im going to make do with my 6600gt. I also ordered 2gb corsair ddr400 (not sure about the latency)

RealBlackStuff said:
I use a 480W on an AMD64/3000, Abit AV8-3rdEye, 1.5GB memory, 2 HDs, 2 CD/DVD, floppy.
I use a 300W PSU on an AMD64/3000, Abit AV8, 1.5GB memory, 1 HD, 2 DVD-burners, Radeon 9600.

Power consumption increases about 10W when I overclock the CPU 25%.

I'd like to know where this 1/2 kW+ PSU trend comes from.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I'd like to know where this 1/2 kW+ PSU trend comes from.

From all those power hog Graphic cards and systems loaded with way too may DVD/CD drives/burners and HDDs.

On a bare minimum system with 1 HDD and one DVDplayer and a MAD GPU card a 375 is adequate if it is in spec and stable.

But if you have, lets say, a 4 drive RAID 5 array and a pair of DVD burners on top of all that you will quickly run out of voltage overhead and :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back