PSU vs 8800 GTX issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar5575

Hi!

Well, basically i have a BFG 8800GTX, and i RMA'ed it Due to the dreadful nvlddmkm.sys error simply on the desktop! But i then recieved another card from a different batch! and this one is awesome! but now when i game HEAVY like crysis and Flatout UC on full i will get a nvlddmkm.sys BSOD the second any 3d rendering has occured! SO i tried a few hotfixes etc, moved ram and stuff...BUT, i then seen taht overclocking the graphics card has fixed it in some cases (i have done about 1 weeks worth of pure research!) and the second i did i lost visual output...i have overclocked ALOT before. I only overclocked by a low 30mhz of the clock speed (which was 650) and linked to the memory clock too. it reset itself, i restarted the pc (btw i was using rivatuner) and the values went back to standard (650 x 1400), and this time i underclocked it to 550 x 1150...and no crash, no BSOD on crysis full graphics...so i think i am lacking power on the power supply, because its fine all the time even on BF2 full graphics, but crysis just poop, BSOD.

May i add that on the old RMA'ed card i played crysis fine, but the clock speeds were 600 x 1200...less than this one from the new batch! and i was using the EXACT same 570watt trust PSU. Im also on the latest drivers 180.xx

I just was wondering to see if i should splash out on a 750 watt PSU so i can set the values back to default and not rely totally upon riva tuner! Thanks!

i would recommend a 700 watt psu as i had a similar issue with my 8800 ulta with a 650 watt psu. Issue now fixed with a better psu.

Don't just get a PSU based on its wattage though. Get a good brand PSU. A good brand 650 or 700 will work for you, a crap brand 750 may not.

Trust PSUs are cheap - more suited for bringing older PCs back to life IMO. Invest in the Corsair HX or Seasonic S12 range of at least 600w and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back