Qualcomm shows what 8K video looks like on a Snapdragon 865

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Qualcomm announced its Snapdragon 865 chipset at its tech summit last December. Full specifications weren’t supplied at the time although there was an indication that the SoC would support 8K video capture. We now know that to be a fact and on Tuesday, Qualcomm shared the footage to prove it.

The sample clip in question was captured on a prototype smartphone powered by the Snapdragon 865 alongside a Sony IMX586 image sensor. In a companion blog post, Qualcomm said the shoot took place in November 2019 at various locations in Arizona. This region was chosen due to its dramatic imagery at locations like the Grand Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, we’re told.

Whether or not you’ll be able to enjoy the clip in its full glory is another question. My aging Core i5-2500K fell flat on its face when trying to watch the clip at 8K. All four cores maxed out at 100 percent utilization, resulting in a stuttering mess that was more akin to a slow-paced slideshow.

The first batch of phones powered by Qualcomm’s new Snapdragon 865 are expected early this year. It’ll likely happen sooner rather than later, especially with Mobile World Congress less than a month away. There’s still the issue of no onboard modem but otherwise, we’re looking forward to seeing what the Snapdragon 865 can deliver to 2020 flagships.

Thumbnail courtesy Wisanu Boonrawd

Permalink to story.

Oh Snap! Wow, that is is shittiest 8K footage I've seen yet. I was watching it on a 4K HDR monitor, and I will tell you that I haven't seen a 4K footage this bad anywhere on YouTube. In fact, it is very bad even for 1080p.

There's tons of 4K/8K video on YouTube to show you what a good quality 4K/8K video is, like these ones:

But you need a proper system to appreciate these, with at least a 4K HDR monitor, fast PC and Internet.

Last edited:
"My aging Core i5-2500K fell flat on its face when trying to watch the clip at 8K. All four cores maxed out"

It'll choke up 6 modern CPU cores in many cases.

GPU acceleration is a wonderful thing. Certainly worked my GPU fairly hard for mere video playback but smooth as butter here with little CPU resources used. Less than 1 core.

Last edited:
I was able to watch the clip at 8K: I have a 2080Ti, but my monitor is a curved 34" gaming monitor that tops out at 1440p.

Oh Snap! Wow, that is is shittiest 8K footage I've seen yet. I was watching it on a 4K HDR monitor, and I will tell you that I haven't seen a 4K footage this bad anywhere on YouTube. In fact, it is very bad even for 1080p.

There's tons of 4K/8K video on YouTube to show you what a good quality 4K/8K video is, like these ones:

But you need a proper system to appreciate these, with at least a 4K HDR monitor, fast PC and Internet.
Agree. Quality is super low and also I've noticed constant stuttering. Numbers are artificial and I think we could record even 9000k resolution lowering the quality way below acceptable. I mean real decent 1080p video would be much better.
Also I checked my hardware utilization with video from OP, it was super low. Like nothing.

Your examples are on point. BTW, on my laptop it takes up to 80% of Intel HD630 when running video from your comment in 8k. CPU is not used, dedicated GPU also. I'm using i7-7700HQ.

Seems like modern (or even 3 gen old) hardware is sufficient for regular video decoding at these resolutions.

The quality is nowhere near 8K, more spec sheet BS. Worry about making superb 4K@160p and 120p. No one shooting vide in a phone needs 8K. If you are that serious about video you won’t be shooting 8K on a phone. Most people that would use 8K would be downsampling it to 6K or 4K for the superior quality.

I have to down sample my 8k time lapses to 4k and 2k mostly because very few computers can even play 4k at all much less at high bit rate. That really is one of the crappiest 8k footage I have seen. Here is a 12k shot with 3 cameras blended and mixed down to 8k to see the difference. even if you play a mere 1080p it looks better than that crappy cellphone camera.

wow, great quality. It ran my i7 8700K at the same 10% as the original footage, but the 1070ti graphics card went up to 85% the original used 50%, still played smooth as silk though!

Not only nicer looking but twice the framerate @60FPS (something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the article - 'it's all about dem pixels baby')

Install latest gen graphics card on your "aging" 2500k system and you'll have no problem watching 8K.

Hopefully 8k catches on the same way 3d TV's did.....
Doubling resolution just doesn't excite me.
Do something completely different, like holograms. That's just me throwing out an example , I'm saying do something different .

The question nobody is asking is who can enjoy an 8K video on a 6" mobile screen? Who can really tell the difference on a test with a 4K capable mobile?

The question nobody is asking is who can enjoy an 8K video on a 6" mobile screen? Who can really tell the difference on a test with a 4K capable mobile?
That is an reason in their defense. If they claim they didn't know the images sucked.

Back