Question about ATA 100/133 Raid, and memory Type!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hallo, everyone. i hope someone can help me with this. What is ATA 100/133 RAid. I don't understand what is Raid. is it a speical funtion or what. also, what is the difference between single sided memory and double sided memory. Can we combine both type of memory into a motherboard or just only all single side memory module on all slot or we can combine both single sided memory and double sided memory. What is the a memory bandwidth? hehe, is it depends on the motherboard or what please help me. Thanks you!!!!

1. What are you trying to do?

2. Do you have any idea about what you are doing?

3. Buy a static wriststrap! (Or risk frying your 'puter)

As for your Q's...

RAID is short for Redundant Array of Independent Disks.
This means that is stores the same data on several disks, which reduces the chances for loosing data if you computer/on of your harddrives crash/-es... It can also be used to stripe data across several disks, which allows for faster read/write operations...

It was usually only used with servers, but are now getting more and more common with desktops.. (Though most of those are built by the users, and not store bought)

ATA is short for Advanced Technology Attachment. That is again a specification for data transfers on the IDE bus... (what you connect regular harddrives to)
The number behind it tells you the maximum transfer capability the drive/controller has...
If it says ATA 100, it has a theoretical maximum transfer capability of 100MB/s etc... You'll never (or at least not outside a special lab) reach these speeds, but you'll notice a speed increase from the lower specs... ATA133 is new and supports all the older transfer speeds...
So if you are buying a new mobo (motherboard), you should choose one which has an ATA133 IDE controller...
If you're buying a harddrive, compare the prices on the ATA100 drive and the ATA133... Choose the one which fits your budget best...

Single sided memory only has memory chips on one side of the stick, whereas double sided memory has on both sides... AFAIK there is no problem mixing the two, as long as the mobo has enough space between the RAM slots...

Hope this answers your Q's! I've adedd links to www.whatis.com for the different terms if you'd like to know more about them...

hehe

Now that Garibaldi is back we won't have the time to answer questions anymore. This guys answers faster then his shadow :D

Re: hehe

Originally posted by Didou
Now that Garibaldi is back we won't have the time to answer questions anymore. This guys answers faster then his shadow :D

Hehe thnx! :)

I'll do what I can ;)
But I won't be able to spend as much time on this board as i used to, so you should get a chance every now and then :D ;)

Re: Re: ATA 100/133 Raid, and memory Type!!!!

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
What are you trying to do?
or what are your trying to purchase? Sounds like a P4!

Originally posted by uncleel:
Raid is a way of using multiple hard drives in varying types of
configurations; either by adding a controller card or having an on-board (on the motherboard) Raid controller. http://www.promise.com/
The two most common forms of RAID: RAID 0 and RAID 1.
(You don't need to get into the other levels)

RAID Level 0 (aka Striped Set Array) requires a minimum of 2 "matched" drives to implement correctly. Information is split between the 2 drives making it almost as fast as SCSI drives.
RAID Level 1 (aka Disk Mirroring) you mirror the contents of one HD onto two or more Hd's, for a complete back up. Businesses use this configuration.

IrDA-Interface
Intel-Advanced/ML board allows connection to IrDA-transceivers via a 5-pin header connector. This IR-adapter should work to etablish IR connections between a Desktop-PC and all known IrDA-devices. The motherboard-manual shows the location of the connector and describes how to set up the BIOS.

Re: What is Irda port

Originally posted by wilbasket23
Can u help me out? what is the Irda port what is it use for !!!!

IrDA is used to connect 2 devices using Infrared waves. The use of this is fairly limited as the devices need "line of sight" path to communicate, in other words, they have to point at each other with out anything in the way, like your TV remote control.

Did you guys totally ignore his SIMM/DIMM question?:suspiciou
SIMM (Single Inline Memory Module) is old technology used back when we had Kb of memory not Mb and Gb as we have today.
DIMM's (Dual Inline Memory Module) are the standard for memory today...You won't find any SIMMs anymore...

sounds like wilbasket was reading about a P4 & intels new trick mobo... lil' in the dark about memory; Rambus or DDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back