Question about socket types

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a LGA 775 socket type that can handle up to 3.6 mHz and right now I have Pentium 4 3.0.

I was thinking about buying a new processor like a core 2 type processor, but I was wondering if the socket type was the only compatability issue to worry about. Plus, whether or not my system will even support a Core 2 type processor. Are there any other specs to consider or is the socket type the only thing to worry about?

I have a LGA 775 socket type that can handle up to 3.6 mHz and right now I have Pentium 4 3.0.

I was thinking about buying a new processor like a core 2 type processor, but I was wondering if the socket type was the only compatability issue to worry about. Plus, whether or not my system will even support a Core 2 type processor. Are there any other specs to consider or is the socket type the only thing to worry about?

You have to factor in the socket type, the chipset and the motherboard. The best way to approach it is to consult the motherboard manufacturer's website to see if they list the CPU as compatible, and if not if a BIOS update will add compatibility.

It is quite common for newer generation CPUs to be incompatible with a motherboard due to missing microcode or other such issue. Always consult the mobo manufacturer first.

Do you know your exact mobo (ex gigabyte GB - 94837 - 49237489 - 27283)?

If not do you know the brand and age of it? Or you bios version's date?

Some older Pentium 4s are usable with 32 bit boards.
Many of the newer Pentium 4s require a 64 bit enabled motherboard to function. As Hellokitty said you need to know the exact model and BIOS version to be certain which P4 will work for you. All P4s are not created equal, sad to report.

i have just gone and bought a p5sn-e sli motherboards witch has socket lga 775 and i have a 3.2ghz quad core running on it and i was just wondering what would be the max graphic capability considering its a motherboard witch can take to sli ready pci-e graphics card plus the max ram im only running 2gb geil ram installed but with there being 4 ram slots i wold like to see if i can get 8gbs running on it

It's in the back....

The power supply will be the limiting factor in which graphics card(s) you choose, not the mobo. Decide on a video card, then post back for PSU suggestions

uhh...did you just blow off $1500 USD on a QX9770?

well anyway, by SLI ready, does that mean that it only has TWO pci-e slots? and can you give us a link to the motherboard that you bought?

the best you can get, after uping your power supply, i assume will be 2x GTX 280's

EDIT: hey, you got here a minute before me :(

MORE EDIT: actually, its best if we suggest what card to pick.

Its best to only use TWO sticks of ram on todays current dual channel boards. If we knew what motherboard you had, we would also be able to recommend some ram sticks...oh and i note that in your "system specs" it shows you running a 32 - windows? well, you will need a 64 - bit OS to run 4gigs +

what do you plan on doing with this computer? Also, you said your using "vista looks"? how exactly are you doing that? Im doing it via modified XP theme dll's

yes lol it only cost me £750 tho and i might be selling my pride and joy cosidering i have spent well over 4k on it

ok just ordered my new 2 GTX 280 witch just cost me a lil bit over £ 500 so should i run them on 1000 watt psu ?

whats the diff between 32 bit and 64 bit windows i would like to get 8 gb ram before i sell

A 32-bit system can only use 32-bits to reference a memory address. So a 32-bit system can theoretically reference 4,294,967,295 addresses which would allow in reality it to reference just over 4gbs of memory. Pretty much every component in a pc needs to be assigned memory addresses by the OS, most only need a few kb but graphics cards can take up many mb's of addresses. Once all your components have been assigned their required memory any and all addresses left over will go towards main memory (RAM) which might be less than the amount of memory actually installed.

64-bit systems allow you to reference alot more memory.

Although I have read the CAP in vista ultimate is 8gigs of ram.

there is an EDIT button, its in the bottem right corner.

Yes, however, the most important thing about power supplies is the BRAND and second is the AMPERS and watts are important too but not as much. The best brands natrually have good amps and reliability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

try this, though i heard it was overpriced at newegg :/, though the price has dropped quite a bit recently.

I would be suprised if you could even eat up FOUR gigs of ram, i think ram speed is more important, but since your selling it, i guess you could cut corners XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back