Question about T&L emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trag

I'm using some software (3d analyze) which allows you to trick a program into running without hardware T&L on your card. What I want to know is if using the T&L emulation can damage your computer, or slow it down when you finish playing the game, or make you need to defrag more often. Or anything else that results in more maintenance.

Thanks

negative

games have to be able to use t&l..........trying to use will avail you nothing......no maintenance issues

3d analyze. It says it is a beta though and that the features haven't been implemented yet.

Okay, this is weird. I just got an error (who says XP doesn't have the "Blue screen of death") saying something about a misplace d page file relating to ntfs.sys. And when I restarted the computer microsoft told me it was a driver error. Similar things have happend before, but I don't remember if it was a driver problem each time. Could it have been caused by 3d analyze?

Thanks

I forgot to mention the program wasn't running at the time. Is it possible for it to have changed something that wouldn't cause an error until the computer connected to the internet?

it could be a driver problem.......wot graphics card are you using?
and no it shouldnt have changed something that wouldnt error until the computer connected to the internet

Steg

Another question. Does anyone know if the T&L emulation involve the hard drive at all and if it can wear out the hard drive faster?

Thanks

Could you get more swap file hits, you mean?

Probably not much in theory, I think.

Probably just a CPU struggling harder to crunch numbers and having to get just a tad hotter.

Will it kill your machine? Nope. Crash it maybe. Kill it, no.

listen

T&L is just the mathematics of triangles, their position, and light....and, probably the only thing that could be affected by mathmatical calculations is the cpu......which would have to run faster........

What you mean is, "Would using the CPU more intensively more longer periods of time wear it out sooner?"

That's a much more complicated question that I guess I can answer, when one thinks about all of the ramifications, etc.

I think that its best to say that "not maintaining a constant, fairly cool temperature would perhaps make the CPU wear out sooner."

What messes with CPUs is them getting really hot, then cooling down, then heating up quickly again, then cooling down, etc.

I don't think that this emulated T&L is gonna kill your machine, though.

Is there a (software) way for me to determine cpu temperature, and make sure it stays in the proper range?

Thanks

Thanks JSR, but I don't think it works with my system, the sensor just displays 0 degrees. Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by Trag
Is there a (software) way for me to determine cpu temperature, and make sure it stays in the proper range?

Thanks
Check the CD that came with your mainboard, as many include hardware monitor programs. Also, if your bios has cpu overheat detection, then make sure its enabled and set it to sound an alarm and down-clock your cpu, in the case of overheating being detected. That way you shouldn't need to worry about monitoring the temps.

Thanks Nic but I checked and I couldn't find anything on the CD that would have that feature. The CD that might have had it on wants me to uninstall earlier drivers and software and I don't want to have to reinstall all of that again. Any other suggestions anyone?

trag

run a software cooler ..........like, rain.......and, i'm sure it's just some glitch in what your doing, in regard to MM......but, really?.......i would'nt be stressin' about this issue much...........you want to take some measures, fine........personally, i'd take a chill pill ;)

Originally posted by Trag
Thanks Nic but I checked and I couldn't find anything on the CD that would have that feature. The CD that might have had it on wants me to uninstall earlier drivers and software and I don't want to have to reinstall all of that again. Any other suggestions anyone?

What brand is the motherboard? Most top tier manufacturers provide a simple yet useful monitoring utility. Depending on the make of your motherboard, I'm fairly certain you could download the utility from the manufacturer's website.

You should browse the mainboard cd with explorer and not rely on the autorun program menu to show all that is available on the cd. But as DaveSylvia suggests, you can get the latest versions from the mainboard manufacturer's website. If you post your mainboard info here I'm sure Dave will be able to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back