Question for you all

GeforcerFX

I am doing a paper on how often the gaming or power user community upgrades/builds/buy a new PC/parts. So if u could list how often u build and what parts u upgrade or built with, or bought a PC (please state whether u built and list parts or bought and list specs) Any Info would help me greatly

i built my gaming computer mid last year, you just search around for capable parts and build it yourself and it saves a heap of money but unless you have money to throw around, upgrading everytime a new part comes out is just pretty stupid

I built my current main/gaming system in late 2008, upgraded the video card from a Radeon HD4870 to a 5870 in October 2009, I upgraded the RAM from 4GB DDR2 to 8GB DDR3 in December 2010, and I installed a Blu-Ray RW drive in July of 2011.

Even though this system is 3 years old it is still more than sufficient for anything I use it for which includes hardcore gaming, video editing and encoding, photo editing, audio encoding, and writing and compiling programs. I think I can probably go at least another year or two before I need to upgrade the core components (CPU, motherboard, etc.), although I may upgrade when Ivy-Bridge comes out depending how they are performance wise.

I can definitely say I do major upgrades much less than I used to. Back in the Pentium 3 and 4 days I would often either completely rebuild or perform a major upgrade of core components every year. But now the power of computers has reached a point that core components can easily handle intense applications for 3 or 4 years only requiring upgrades of auxiliary components such as RAM, video cards, and drives to keep them relevant. This of course only applies if you don't cheap out and buy the minimum configuration that will just barely handle your needs at the time of the initial build/purchase.

Built my present rig in August 2009. Back then it had an XFX 9800GT. Upgraded the GPU to the Radeon HD 4890 and memory from 2 to 4GB.

I also got hold of the OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU cooler to OC the CPU.

Back