Question that is driving me MAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulWuzHere

Please tell me what is better. AMD Athlon 1800+ or a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz? Me and my friend argue about this all the time. Plz if anyone can tell me why in good detail i would very much like it.

Soo...

If i overclocked the 1800+ from 1.53Ghz to ??? it would be better then a P-4 2.0Ghz? Thanks for helping

The 1800 uses a 266mhz bus but should run at 333mhz. That should put it close to an XP 2400. I had an XP 1700 I ran at 333mhz and it got the same benchmark scores as an XP 2500. It will be even better if you use an nForce 2 motherboard and PC3200 RAM.

Thank you very MUCH

You cleared up the question i needed help with and i thank you for that. And I hope you have a very good day and may good fortune be upon you in the future :wave:

Intel vs AMD....from what I understand AMD chips have a larger or more efficient math co-processor on the chip (CPU's are just calculators with a big ego). This enables them to do calculations slightly better than Intel. Intel makes up for this shortfall with raw clock speed. With all other specs equal (mobo, Memory, FSB etc) you probably would'nt notice too much difference between two chips with comparable MHZ speeds.

Personnaly I go for Athlons, their generally cheaper than their Intel equivilants and also generally perform better.

Yes, youv'e hit the nail with that one. AMD's are much cheaper!!
I personally don't have much experience with AMD...just lots of AFK (acquired forum knowledge) LOL maybe I'll make my next box an AMD 64 when the price comes down a bit :haha:

Eh...

I had a hard time with an Athlon 2800+ 64-bit that i bought... it was unstable. I am running a P-4 2.0Ghz right now. It isn't much so I don't wanna here "What a piece of CRAP!" or anything like that. It gets the job done. When I do upgrade I am going intel cuz i have had nothing but good times with them. I did enjoy an AMD 1800+ but it wasen't that special to me.

Hmmmm?

I have both cpu's.
Intel p4 2.4-shuttle board
Amd 2700+ xp athalon- asus a7n8x-e deluxe
I've had different types of problems with them
both.
But for the most part they are both good Proccesors.

I'm runnin the Amd as my primary machine now,
and have in the past run Intels as primary.
I switched for several reason.

1.Price
2.reliability
3.diverse uses
4.and should I want to I can OC.

Amd seems to care about what the end user wants,
where Intel seems to tell the user what they'll get. (ie:locked cpu's)
:stickout: :stickout: :stickout:

Hey Socrates,
What do you mean when you say 'locked cpus'....?
Do you mean voltage adjustments to the cpu itself? I'm not trying to be challenging - I'm just not much of an OC'er.
I've had my 3.0E up to 3.2 judt to see what it's all about so I'm not sure what you mean......school me! LOL

Eh...

200Mhz isn't much of an Overclock for a 3Ghz... if i had that cpu I would put a good h/s on it and get about 3.5Ghz out of it atleast. But i get a new CPU every few months cuz of this :haha: I get a few privilages. I normally run my 2Ghz at 2.4Ghz as for the voltage I am not sure... I stay away form those power problems

Not challenging at all

Mark37 said:
Hey Socrates,
What do you mean when you say 'locked cpus'....?
Do you mean voltage adjustments to the cpu itself? I'm not trying to be challenging - I'm just not much of an OC'er.
I'm just not much of an OC'er either. Too much
risk for my lack of $$.

What I left out was the P4 2.4's
are celerons. I have 3 at the moment on dif boards.
They are all locked tight, no changing anything :(
voltage-multiplier-mhz-fsb---->nada.
What I mean as for "primary machine", I use my Amd
for games and such (bfg-tech6800gt oc 256mb), and the celerons for
more office like stuff.
:knock:

When I bought this Compaq it had a 2.8Ghz Celeron. I hated it! I sold it fod $60 and bout a 2.0Ghz P-4 and it blew it out of the water. But for office work the celeron is a good little chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back